Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Imaging Capability Questions
Does anyone know if the thermal imaging equipment used by SAR can detect a person in a sleeping bag? Or does the insulation block the heat signature? I haven't found any articles on the web that address this question. Maybe enough heat leaks through or out of the sleeping bag.

I remember several years back, forum member Long Rifle wrote that his brother got hypothermia while hunting around Flagstaff, and SAR found him with thermal imaging; he had managed to start a small fire that SAR detected with their thermal imaging equipment. I'm not sure how widespread the use of this technology is with SAR teams.

If it were cold, and you couldn't maintain a fire, could they spot you in a sleeping bag, or a survival shelter even, like a pine needle bed?

Thanks, George
Well according to this article it is very hard not to be detected by thermal imaging George.

https://www.quora.com/How-would-you-bloc...al-imaging
Good article, Pete. thanks. I didn't do a web search for info about hiding from thermal imaging, and that's a good angle for a web search.

The article makes me think you would be detected in a sleeping bag, because the bag would heat up and be warmer than the surrounding ground.

---George
i was a member of a SAR team a few years ago (health reasons) we did not have thermal imaging. the state police may have.

on the other hand the state police had a SAR team that was called out first, we didn't get called out till it was more like search and recovery and go were the police might get dirty.
Tryker

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(09-08-2019, 07:02 AM)george of the J Wrote: Good article, Pete. thanks. I didn't do a web search for info about hiding from thermal imaging, and that's a good angle for a web search.

The article makes me think you would be detected in a sleeping bag, because the bag would heat up and be warmer than the surrounding ground.

---George

The railroads use thermal imaging to check if the wheels bearings are running hot..
I was always wondering if they could point the thermal imaging device at the freight car and detect me inside.
There are also heat senses by the tracks.
One tramp told me that if I have a campfire in the the boxcar, this would trigger a alarm and they would stop the train to check the wheels.
I did have campfires in the boxcars, but used to suspend them in a piece of link fencing so they were off the floor.
Yes I was a sneaky, cunning hobo you see.
A bit like André Gagnon without the homicidal tendencies.

Big Grin
Heat shows up against the background. Resolution is really good and it's only getting better.

https://youtu.be/POsTWWIp0Nw
Men are, that they might have joy.
Thanks you guys.

Tryker, I noticed Amazon sells a variety of thermal imaging cameras fairly cheap, with some under $200. I don't know if they are good enough for SAR use. I haven't really had time to look into it much more, but it would be interesting to know how many SAR teams use thermal imaging and how many units they have. Of course, there are units for sale that cost $3,000 or more.

Pete, we have an infrared gun at the printing plant where I work to check for bad bearings on the presses. It's not a camera; it just gives a digital readout of the temperature. You point it and pull and hold the trigger. We really don't use it much, though, and more often end up noticing a bad bearing when we smell smoke.

Thanks for the video, McKenzie. I watched a few others on YouTube but none of them had a sleeping bag. The color mode with the grey and red really worked great, but the plain gray mode did not really show a huge contrast between the sleeping bag and the surrounding ground, other than the seams and foot area. There was a huge contrast between the sleeping bag and the Mylar (or whatever the trifecta bag was made of), but not the ground. Maybe enough for a trained eye, but I would have to search with the red and gray mode if it were me.

I also wonder what the temp rating of the sleeping bag was and if a lower temp-rated bag would be harder to spot. And now, I'm also wondering about a person in a sleeping bag inside a tent. Well, this is something I may watch more videos and read more articles about, as long as I keep up interest in it.

Thanks again---George
GEORGE, one of the problums with SAR groups is no funding all members supply there own gear and clothing. donations is what covers team equipment and that goes to where it's realy needed.
Tryker

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???