Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forge-finished finery, bush swords, etc.
Been busy banging out bodadacious blades.  Here are some recents.  80CrV2 steel, cord wraps, and Boltaron sheaths all around.

A biohazard outbreak reaction bush sword and smaller utility knife that went to a repeat customer in Canada.  The bush sword has scorched hemp for the main wrap and black paracord Turk's head knots.  The smaller knife has tan paracord over hemp, with a black paracord Turk's head.

[Image: 46915279834_177d9720de_b.jpg]kq01 by James Helm, on Flickr

A similarly-sized (6"~ blade) knife as the above utility, with hemp.

[Image: 46723768245_bdae43da75_b.jpg]db01 by James Helm, on Flickr

Variations on Benghazi Warfighters, two with sharpened upper edges.

[Image: 46723771465_02f715517e_c.jpg]knife01 by James Helm, on Flickr

[Image: 33762020968_3be1637344_c.jpg]knife03 by James Helm, on Flickr

[Image: 47586677532_3b7c11847c_c.jpg]knife04 by James Helm, on Flickr

[Image: 40672887853_c432b95c02_c.jpg]knife02 by James Helm, on Flickr

[Image: 46723771265_b987a1e16d_c.jpg]knife05 by James Helm, on Flickr

A Benghazi Warfighter with black oxide finish, headed to an Army Ranger.  He had commissioned a bigger chopper/fighter from me a few years ago, a variation of my Aggression design (I need to make some more of those).  We decided this was a "micro-Aggression" and the sheath is a "safe space" from it.  Big Grin  He can't tell me yet where he's deploying, but this is going with him.
[Image: 32696939127_f95d437d01_c.jpg]bw01 by James Helm, on Flickr
[Image: 47586701272_0e2b0b3731_c.jpg]bw02 by James Helm, on Flickr

A couple of donation blades, the first for Knife Rights in their continued fight to remove restrictions on the ability of law-abiding citizens to carry arms in the United States. This year, a falcata-ish bush sword with retina-searing neon orange underlay.

[Image: 33762048258_87fc247ca1_c.jpg]donation02 by James Helm, on Flickr

I don't realize how big my hands look until I take a picture of me holding a blade.

[Image: 33762048018_5a735f9926_c.jpg]donation05 by James Helm, on Flickr

And a much smaller donation knife for my old high school, raising funds for teacher projects that run outside the school budget.

[Image: 32696938397_4b7aa97670_c.jpg]donation04 by James Helm, on Flickr

One of the most useful comments I've had on my work came years ago when a knife dealer told me my blades were good but my sheaths sucked. I have worked to make that better, and think I have achieved a decent level of workmanlike sheaths.

[Image: 47586701142_354910ca9e_c.jpg]donation01 by James Helm, on Flickr

[Image: 47586701022_7dd86e7ae9_c.jpg]donation03 by James Helm, on Flickr

And finally, the first oxtail dao I've done in a long time. The customer had as reference a picture of one I built many years ago.

[Image: 46723877685_b31a992bf7_c.jpg]dao by James Helm, on Flickr

Here's what I came up with for him. He was quite taken with the results.

[Image: 47586701002_5abcf4d61a_c.jpg]oxtail01 by James Helm, on Flickr

I'd say I've improved through the years. The top edge is fully sharpened on the new one.

[Image: 47639476261_04e87d581f_c.jpg]oxtail03 by James Helm, on Flickr

The design called for an open-backed sheath.

[Image: 47586700862_f8e34b1d5a_c.jpg]oxtail02 by James Helm, on Flickr

Ok, headed to the shop to work on some carcass splitters. Smile
James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization!

Helm Enterprises, Forging Division - http://www.helmforge.com

Helm Enterprises, Grinding Division - http://www.helmgrind.com

A collaboration with Wasteland Leatherwork: wastelandcrow.blogspot.com
As always some very nice specimens, on display.   You're an artisan in metallurgy  Exclamation

Don't reckon all that pounding with hammers day after day had anything to do with developing those hands?
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
HAHAH Yes man! Your "micro agressions" and sheath is the "safe space' from it comments made me laugh so hard my monitor now has coffee stains on it!

Going to an Army Ranger? then its going to a good home where it will be used well!

Great feast for the eyes as usual--you are the BOMB!!!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Thanks, AOC! The Ranger is the one who came up with the "micro-Aggression" thing, which naturally led to me thinking of the sheath as being the "safe space" from it. Big Grin

Busy forging more for commissions and as Blade Show inventory. Gonna be a super-busy year!
James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization!

(04-22-2019, 03:47 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: Thanks, AOC!  The Ranger is the one who came up with the "micro-Aggression" thing, which naturally led to me thinking of the sheath as being the "safe space" from it.  Big Grin

Busy forging more for commissions and as Blade Show inventory.  Gonna be a super-busy year!

well, when you love what you do---you never need to work a day in your life....

Good luck op ya dude! Knock em dead!!  Big Grin Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Beautiful works you have there, shredding that critic, IMHO.....;-)
(04-28-2019, 10:24 AM)BadgerCo-Op Wrote: Beautiful works you have there, shredding that critic, IMHO.....;-)

Thanks, BadgerCo-op!  He was entirely right about my sheaths sucking at that point.  I was heating my Kydex with a heat gun, only able to work about 6" at a time.  Now I use a T-shirt press to heat the Kydex, and good quality foam for my molding press, which I built with a quick-release wood vise, meaning I can press quickly and firmly to mold the shape well.

The T-shirt press is one of the best tooling investments I've made in general, and I only make sheaths for my own blades.

(04-30-2019, 04:49 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: The T-shirt press is one of the best tooling investments I've made in general, .................

Ok..............Idea