Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire with a butter knife and bandana
A most impressive video, bow and drill in wet, snowy conditions.  I think a real lesson for us city folks trying to add to our databank of knowledge.

Plus a thumb-your-nose to all who say that there is never a need to baton your knife.

Plus, a humbling experience for those, like me, who love the custom and high dollar blades.  Smile

Fire with a butter knife and bandana

I am blown away! How many years of knowledge do you suppose this person has? Skill comes in doing. Over and over. that is why I love watching the Hoods Woodsmaster series and then practicing those skills. Learning what woods work in the winter and which ones do not. Trying different things. Leaving a piece or three of gear on purpose. Making do. Doing without. Was on a recent trip with the Boy Scouts. Time for the fire, only logs were readily available, supposedly. That is all that was next to the campfire. We were in a forest. I walked away, into the forest and came back with all kinds of tinder. I asked what if we didn't have that? Asked who had a knife? 7 boys, 1 medium SAK, 2 gas station lock back specials. These lads were 13-16 years old. I had camped with them twice before and had discussed this before. Every single one of them had a cell phone. I got out my Benchmade Puukko 200 and in 10 minutes taking time to show, let them do, and explain, we had a fire without matches, gas or a lighter. their 3 forms of making fire.
I have got to show them this. Thanks Bill. I don't think I am ready to enter the woods with nothing but a butter knife in winter. Ballsy! This guy has got skills!
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
Some interesting ideas.

You can always find fatwood . . . look for live evergreens with dead branches the diameter (or larger) of your thumb. Use your SAK and cut one off near the tree, split it and using the back of your knife blade make "pine wool" (powdered fatwood). This is supposed to take a spark. Use other split pieces and fuzz sticks to get the rest of your fire going.

Hope the boys appreciate you Jim. Don't give up. . . . maybe hide their phones though!!

Thanks for sharing, Bill.
Great video, Bill. I just got around to watching it today. It makes me want to get out and take a hike, maybe build a fire.

---George
Hi, George! Hope you're doing well... Weather is transitioning into that schizophrenic time: Winter? Spring? How 'bout both? Smile Yeah, wants me to get out there in the fresh air... Best to you!

Great video, I know I love reminding the folks that unless you knife is made from "unobtaiium" its crap that man went thru a period of history where we hunted,feed , killed ourselves without steel.It was called the IRON AGE just as a reminder
a armed man is his own master
Very impressive.
I like the presentation because the man does not talk.
His demonstrations are enough.
(03-07-2019, 04:28 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: Hi, George! Hope you're doing well... Weather is transitioning into that schizophrenic time: Winter? Spring? How 'bout both? Smile Yeah, wants me to get out there in the fresh air... Best to you!

Thanks, Bill. Hope things are going good for you too. Yeah, this time of year we get rain some days and snow other days. As far as fire making, everything is pretty wet. I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend (not a bow drill, just with a ferro rod or something).

---George