Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative to butter.
(02-26-2019, 08:06 AM)caver56 Wrote: A good freeze dryer gets down too at least -0. Most do -30, -40 below zero. Some do cycles, freeze warm freeze to get the moisture out.  Then the vacuum pump kicks in for the sublimation.

Once it's done, it's bone dry. and light. Put in a Mylar bag with a desiccant, it can last for 25 years. Can be put in a jar with a seal and left out for snacks. All the samples I've tried where pretty good. Looking for a used one. Eni and I are thinking hard about getting one.

As for the preparedness fairs. We have a large Mormon presence. They believe in food storage. And we have a few preparedness stores, and people into it. You can check it out at Shelley preparedness fair. (shelleyready.com) We have 3 to 4 in different cities during the year.

Oh so cool!

Id love to get one of those too!

Yes I have come to realize there are many Mormons in that area (we even have some Mormon Hoodlums) and from what I've seen and met of them--they are VERY decent and friendly folks! Plus they are the original preppers---since they follow the doctrine of storing at least 2 years worth of food!---smart!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(02-25-2019, 09:19 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 07:43 AM)caver56 Wrote: It's probably made by freeze drying. They had a freeze drying class at a preparedness fair last Saturday. They were freeze drying everything. From eggs to ice cream.  Have some powdered peanut butter that works good.

WOW---I don't know where you live but a preparedness fair??? That is far out!!

They ain't got nothing--even close to that where I live! Their idea of preparedness is what to pack on a pic nic lunch Big Grin

(02-21-2019, 09:46 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I have just read this caver.

1. The simple freezer method
The easiest way to freeze dry food is the one that also takes the longest. All you need to do is place your food in small pieces on a tray such as a cookie sheet, or a cooling rack or air drying rack and simply put it in your freezer. A deep freezer works best.
The food starts to freeze in the first few hours itself, but the drying process takes weeks. This process is known as sublimation. This is what separates freeze drying from simply freezing food inside of sealed bags or containers like we’re all used to doing.

I think I shall try and find powdered butter in the supermarket first.

Wow, that is so cool Pete! I have heard of sublimation before---I will have to try this method....forgive my ignorance--this may be a silly question! but ---so once the entire process is done, can the food last outside of the freezer?

AOC
I do not know AOC. I have never used this method - knowingly.
However, I have thrown dozens of dry items of food out of the freezer, and they might have just been freeze dried!  Sad
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

What about using ghee?
It will still eventually go rancid, but with all the milk solids removed, it lasts MUCH longer than butter.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ---Robert Heinlein

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shooting stuff-Bob the Nailer
(02-28-2019, 02:49 PM)quietmike Wrote: What about using ghee?
It will still eventually go rancid, but with all the milk solids removed, it lasts MUCH longer than butter.

Yes that might be the answer Mike.
I have looked it up and to make Ghee butter, simply heat the butter, skim off the whey, and pour off the butter oil leaving solids in the bottom of the pan.
I read that Ghee keeps for three months.
However, it seems Ghee is always stored in glass, which might be heavy to carry.
Ghee seems to have a grainy solid texture, so I see no reason not to carry Ghee in the paper that normal butter is packed.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

(03-01-2019, 06:30 AM)Limey Pete Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 02:49 PM)quietmike Wrote: What about using ghee?

[snip]
However, it seems Ghee is always stored in glass, which might be heavy to carry.
Ghee seems to have a grainy solid texture, so I see no reason not to carry Ghee in the paper that normal butter is packed.
[snip]

It's also available in metal cans.  But the "grainy solid texture" is only at lower temperatures, like you might find in your brother's home in winter.  At normal temps where you are now it is very liquid.  If the temperature in our kitchen is above around 72 F (sorry, about 22 C) the jar of ghee will be a mix of solid and liquid phases. We have converted to ghee for cooking at home because it resists burning easier than most fats.  We still use butter for normal things, like toast and table use, but use ghee exclusively for cooking with "butter".  It is very popular in India because it can live so long without refrigeration.

Probably not much use to you in Pataya, but I have been getting it at the IShopIndian.com online store at https://www.ishopindian.com/
I saw it advertised on some online survival food/supply store at an outrageous price but I was getting the same brand from IShopIndian.com for about half what the "survival" store was charging.

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Yes my brother just uses his refrigerator for storing food on the highest temperature settings.
He would remove the refrigerator light if he could, to save electricity.  
He does not use butter anyway, just supermarket own brand margarine.  Tongue
I should check on him occasionally especially in winter to make sure he has not died of hypothermia.
Thanks for the link Wally.
I think the way to use ghee, is to make it on the stove just before wilderness a trip, and bottle it in small bottles.
If it lasts in Indian where it is often hot, it should last hiking the Appalachian trail.
Not that I have any such notion in mind.

Shy
I have tried frying an egg with “powdered butter”.

It does NOT work.

You cannot “dehyrdate” the fats/oils out of butter because it is not water - duh.

I suspect “powdered butter” is just more concentrated powdered milk or just powdered milk with instructions to add less water!
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
Freeze drying is a lot different than dehydrating.. you can freeze dry ice cream. My butter powder says not to rehydrate.  For baking and sprinkling. I'll have to play with it and little more.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
(03-03-2019, 02:10 PM)alukban Wrote: I have tried frying an egg with “powdered butter”.

It does NOT work.

You cannot “dehyrdate” the fats/oils out of butter because it is not water - duh.

I suspect “powdered butter” is just more concentrated powdered milk or just powdered milk with instructions to add less water!

Cry Exclamation Exclamation Big Grin Big Grin

ALUKBAN!!! You have come home for a visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you must have heard me mentally calling you---just last week I was thinking man oh man--I miss the oldies--the GOODIES ---Alukban, Motman, all them boys---I wonder where they got to!!!

happy you're home Big Grin Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(03-05-2019, 08:03 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: I miss the oldies--the GOODIES ---Alukban, Motman, all them boys---I wonder where they got to!!!

So, does this mean you take to rest of us for granted AOC?

Aren't we old / good too, ............hell some of us are positively grizzled  Tongue
(03-06-2019, 12:23 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 08:03 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: I miss the oldies--the GOODIES ---Alukban, Motman, all them boys---I wonder where they got to!!!

Aren't we old / good too, ............hell some of us are positively grizzled  Tongue

Oh you know I LOVE you guys! You guys are some of my closest friends....its like an unspoken thing....just click---every single Hoodlum that I have chatted with or even gone to meet has been the best experiences of my life. 

Just like a fine wine we keep getting better the more years we mature and like fine cheeses--we smell more ripe too!  Big Grin Big Grin

This place would not be the same without the original crew (y'all know who you are) plus im so happy we got some new young blood into the crew!

Just mentioned it because last week I literally thought I wish Lukban would come post! its like i got a geenie or something!

AOC

(03-12-2019, 03:06 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:23 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:

Oh you know I LOVE you guys! 

Blush