Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative to butter.

When out in the wilds, I like bread and butter.
The problem is that butter tends to go rancid quickly, except in cold conditions.
I have been using mayonnaise instead, which is quite tasty, but bulky to carry.
However now I have discovered another option.
Cheese triangles in silver paper, which seem to store a long time without going bad, and are small to carry.
I breakfast in a Lao cafe here in Vientiane, and they serve cheese triangles with the baguettes.
There seems to be two choices: Laughing Cow and Dairylee.
I have some butter powder. Also some honey powder that comes in handy.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
Butter powder?
Where can I buy that caver?
At the powdered butter store!

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
Got mine at Walmart. Amazon has it. Seen it at a few bulk food stores. Might be just for cooking though.. Not sure. Will try and find a small jar and try it just as butter. I have a gallon can of it in our food storage.. If I find some I'll let you know how it is.

Here's one source for powdered butter, although shipping to Laos might be kinda high:

https://www.mredepot.com/product-p/fe779.htm

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Wow powdered butter!
I never thought it could be done.
And I thought I knew everything.

Tongue
is that the stuff ya shake on popcorn ???
Tryker

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

How is the powder made into butter - is it just add water and mix?
(02-17-2019, 04:58 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: How is the powder made into butter - is it just add water and mix?

I don't know about other brands, but the following is from the link I posted above

Quote:Uses: Sprinkle on hot popcorn, saute for vegetables, any recipes calling for butter, reconstitute and use on toast. Can be used in baking, cooking, and sauteing.

To Reconstitute: add 1/2 to 1 Tsp of water to 1 Tbsp Butter Powder. Mix well. (When used in baking: It is not necessary to reconstitute. Simply add to dry ingredients and increase liquid. Add 1 Tbsp additional liquid for each 1/4 cup Butter Powder)

Ingredients: Butter, (Sweet Cream, Salt & Annatto Color), Nonfat Milk solids, sodium caseinate, and disodium phosphate

Shelf Life: 10+ years. Best when stored in a cool dry place at temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees F (ideal humidity 15%).Once opened, consume the product within 1 year.

I have not tried it so I don't know how good it is.

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
(02-17-2019, 05:44 AM)wmerrin Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 04:58 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: How is the powder made into butter - is it just add water and mix?

I don't know about other brands, but the following is from the link I posted above

Quote:Uses: Sprinkle on hot popcorn, saute for vegetables, any recipes calling for butter, reconstitute and use on toast. Can be used in baking, cooking, and sauteing.

To Reconstitute: add 1/2 to 1 Tsp of water to 1 Tbsp Butter Powder. Mix well. (When used in baking: It is not necessary to reconstitute. Simply add to dry ingredients and increase liquid. Add 1 Tbsp additional liquid for each 1/4 cup Butter Powder)

Ingredients: Butter, (Sweet Cream, Salt & Annatto Color), Nonfat Milk solids, sodium caseinate, and disodium phosphate

Shelf Life: 10+ years. Best when stored in a cool dry place at temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees F (ideal humidity 15%).Once opened, consume the product within 1 year.

I have not tried it so I don't know how good it is.

Wally
Thanks Wally.
I will not find it here in the Far East. Butter is a food they rarely have,
It's probably made by freeze drying. They had a freeze drying class at a preparedness fair last Saturday. They were freeze drying everything. From eggs to ice cream.  Have some powdered peanut butter that works good.

I have just read this caver.

1. The simple freezer method
The easiest way to freeze dry food is the one that also takes the longest. All you need to do is place your food in small pieces on a tray such as a cookie sheet, or a cooling rack or air drying rack and simply put it in your freezer. A deep freezer works best.
The food starts to freeze in the first few hours itself, but the drying process takes weeks. This process is known as sublimation. This is what separates freeze drying from simply freezing food inside of sealed bags or containers like we’re all used to doing.

I think I shall try and find powdered butter in the supermarket first.
(02-21-2019, 07:43 AM)caver56 Wrote: It's probably made by freeze drying. They had a freeze drying class at a preparedness fair last Saturday. They were freeze drying everything. From eggs to ice cream.  Have some powdered peanut butter that works good.

WOW---I don't know where you live but a preparedness fair??? That is far out!!

They ain't got nothing--even close to that where I live! Their idea of preparedness is what to pack on a pic nic lunch Big Grin

(02-21-2019, 09:46 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I have just read this caver.

1. The simple freezer method
The easiest way to freeze dry food is the one that also takes the longest. All you need to do is place your food in small pieces on a tray such as a cookie sheet, or a cooling rack or air drying rack and simply put it in your freezer. A deep freezer works best.
The food starts to freeze in the first few hours itself, but the drying process takes weeks. This process is known as sublimation. This is what separates freeze drying from simply freezing food inside of sealed bags or containers like we’re all used to doing.

I think I shall try and find powdered butter in the supermarket first.

Wow, that is so cool Pete! I have heard of sublimation before---I will have to try this method....forgive my ignorance--this may be a silly question! but ---so once the entire process is done, can the food last outside of the freezer?

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
A good freeze dryer gets down too at least -0. Most do -30, -40 below zero. Some do cycles, freeze warm freeze to get the moisture out.  Then the vacuum pump kicks in for the sublimation.

Once it's done, it's bone dry. and light. Put in a Mylar bag with a desiccant, it can last for 25 years. Can be put in a jar with a seal and left out for snacks. All the samples I've tried where pretty good. Looking for a used one. Eni and I are thinking hard about getting one.

As for the preparedness fairs. We have a large Mormon presence. They believe in food storage. And we have a few preparedness stores, and people into it. You can check it out at Shelley preparedness fair. (shelleyready.com) We have 3 to 4 in different cities during the year.