Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival Movie Critique
I know there has been discussions and critiques of survival movies in the past.  I ran a search but found nothing like I was looking for, so here goes.....

I came in last night and the wife was watching 'Bird Box' so for any who have not seen this movie, the synopsis goes like this, 'Ominous unseen presence drives the most of society to suicide.'  Which was a very poor description to the movie I watched.  Apparent this unseen presence was ghostly, and entered the humans body through their eyes, since the eyes had to be covered, anytime outside, and all windows, or other opening into the home, had to be kept covered with shades, curtains, etc., to keep the humans eyes protected.  Perhaps I have over simplified this aspect myself, but that was my perception of the movie.  Oh, yea, the people did discover that birds can perceive when the ominous 'ghostly' unseen's are presence.

After the movie went off, I asked the wife, "Why, didn't the people just start wearing heavily tented wraparound shades, since some of the scenes portrayed the humans could almost, but not quite completely, see through their cloth eye wraps or covers.  If the eyes had to be completely sealed for protection, then the dark goggles welders wear which completely seal against the face and forehead would certainly have protected the humans eyes, and certainly allowed them to move about without trying to emulate blind people.

There were so many measures critical thinking people could have did to improve their circumstances, it wouldn't have taken long for me to have turned the movie off myself, but since it was the wife's choice, I didn't say anything until it was over.  I don't guess the people in 'Hollywood's' make-believe world can think any better than people in the real world today.  Now where is that MacGyver fellow when Hollywood really needs him?
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
My wife put this on screen as her choice
It's nice to to see miss Bullock any time but the movie seemed improbable
Any river runner will let you know the non-expert will have his or her hands full in rapids with both eyes open and impossible blind folded
Just my nickle's worth
Big Grin
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
hahah, my step daughter made me watch this and I too, kept thinking the situation was silly, improbable--and what--the ghostly unseen demons cant enter a house, only outside? hahah, I would hope to get a seeing eye dog...

Also poor Sandra Bullock got too much botox and now looks more like Michael Jackson!  Confused

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
strictly made for entertainment. they must be running out of remake scripts. i don't think they could see out of welders goggles, can't with mine any why.
Tryker

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(01-06-2019, 10:00 PM)TRYKER Wrote: strictly made for entertainment. they must be running out of remake scripts. i don't think they could see out of welders goggles, can't with mine any why.

As the old saying, I possibly placed my mouth in motion, before I had my mind in gear, regarding the welders goggles. 

Personally I do not have the goggles, but I do have a Lincoln AC/DC 'cracker box' as they are referred to, but I use a hood when welding.  I haven't used it in some time, but I was remembering one could see through the lens, abet very poorly, until the arc was struck, then visibility improved.  Actually I have one of the newer hood's with the clear lenses which darkens when the ark is struck.  I don't think I have ever used the newest hood, but based on the plot, that one would provide no protection from the 'demonic ghosts'.

It didn't really provide much entertainment to me, but for one who likes science fiction, mixed with a little horror, it may have entertained them.
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(01-06-2019, 05:56 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Also poor Sandra Bullock got too much botox and now looks more like Michael Jackson!  Confused

AOC

After Speed, Gravity, and now Bird Box, the survival lesson is not to travel with Sandra Bullock.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ---Robert Heinlein

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shooting stuff-Bob the Nailer
I suspect that the motivation to have strange supernatural/magical threats in the stranger survival movies is to show normal, rational preparedness as being useless.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(01-08-2019, 10:17 AM)quietmike Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 05:56 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Also poor Sandra Bullock got too much botox and now looks more like Michael Jackson!  Confused

AOC

After Speed, Gravity, and now Bird Box, the survival lesson is not to travel with Sandra Bullock.

Big Grin Big Grin  hahah yes, that is the moral of the story!

AOC

(01-08-2019, 11:36 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: I suspect that the motivation to have strange supernatural/magical threats in the stranger survival movies is to show normal, rational preparedness as being useless.

You are quite possibly correct Ben....seems most media --film, ect these days have an ulterior agenda under the surface --to try to propagandize the message, and getting citizens to believe that normal, rational preparedness is useless---sadly--- IS one of those things the movie giants seem to want to convey....

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Many, but another near the top is cash.  Plastic is much safer, Cash is horrible, unsafe & down right dangerous.  Carrying cash make you a target for robbery.  Actually my bank account is much greater target to be hacked and robbed electronically, than I likely ever will be, of being robbed myself.

And now the latest are kids being hurt & killed because of 'bird box' dares! What a crazy mixed up world!
Jimbo

People with lots of cash are often portrayed as being either old-fashioned idiots (usually an elderly person out of touch with the modern world and being "cool,") or criminals like drug dealers.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(01-06-2019, 02:12 AM)Jimbo Wrote: I came in last night and the wife was watching 'Bird Box' 

There were so many measures critical thinking people could have did to improve their circumstances, it wouldn't have taken long for me to have turned the movie off myself, but since it was the wife's choice, I didn't say anything until it was over.  

I doubt your wife wanted to "solve the problem" - it's apparently all about the emotions you experience as you undertake the "journey" with Sandra & Co. 
Heart Sad Shy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2737304/

Actual successful survival is way too tame for movies, there needs to be manufactured drama to appeal to a mass audience & technical detail is the last consideration IMO. Dodgy
(01-18-2019, 01:14 PM)Deerstalker Wrote: [quote pid='574265' dateline='1546740741']
I doubt your wife wanted to "solve the problem" - it's apparently all about the emotions you experience as you undertake the "journey" with Sandra & Co. 
Heart Sad Shy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2737304/

Actual successful survival is way too tame for movies, there needs to be manufactured drama to appeal to a mass audience & technical detail is the last consideration IMO. Dodgy

[/quote]
There was more to our conversation than just discussing the shaded eyewear, however having better sight would have solved the majority of the populations problems.  AOC mentioned security and ghost like 'creatures' for lack of a better word to describe the 'beings' who moved like the wind, which makes it doubtful typical doors would have prevented their entry into a normal home.  And if they could penetrate through uncovered, unshielded, or otherwise unprotected, glass in windows, doors, autos or whatever and penetrate the eyes of humans I see no reason the creatures with a form as shapeless as the wind would have any difficulty gaining access into homes, apartment, stores, office building or what not, other than the fact it was not written into the script. 

Why she decided to watch the movie, I didn't ask and won't speculate on either, but she didn't care for much of the 'journey.'  Hollywood doesn't care much for, or otherwise desire critical thinkers watching their products in the first place.  But as everyone knows, it is all make believe in the first place!  Well, Maybe not, since some of the younger generations can not distinguish fiction from fantacy.
Jimbo

Good SF/fantasy has a useful role to play in providing an opportunity to examine "what if's" (just like a spread sheet).

For example what if:
-the Germans won WWII?
-we could travel to the stars?
-society was organised on a different basis?
-there was a apocalypse?
-we could harness fusion?
-we could time travel?

It is also good at suggesting possible new technology.

Anything can be explored, so long as the new ground rules are consistent throughout & don't arbitrarily change by magic when ever the writers paint themselves into a corner...........IMO Shy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNhM99KuGr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFnZUev8_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Wjz5G8WVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_KaNyh0-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmEijh3iE1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX9W3ceSkwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVXkHK6Irgs
(01-22-2019, 06:13 AM)Deerstalker Wrote: Anything can be explored, so long as the new ground rules are consistent throughout & don't arbitrarily change by magic when ever the writers paint themselves into a corner...........IMO Shy

Like on Disney "Star Wars?" Big Grin
I haven't seen any movies since this past summer, and none of them were any good.

I have been watching anime lately after years of not seeing anything new.  Here's a few I've seen this past year:

1.  Macross Frontier - This is a sequel to "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" which was adapted in the US as the first generation of "Robotech."  I wasn't expecting much since I saw "Macross 7" in the 1990s and while very popular it was also very idiotic.  Frontier is actually a good story and also has good art and action.  One does not need to have seen the other series to watch this.  The series has 25 episodes.

2.  Gate - This is about a portal that opens up to a fantasy world in Tokyo, where an army which is basically a mix of Medieval and Roman technology along with monsters attacks Tokyo only to be beaten back.  Then the JSSDF goes through the gate, and they use modern weapons to fight ancient armies and monsters.  You can see things like a pair of F-4s fighting dragons or a stupid prince ordering his men to attack a group of soldiers with automatic weapons.  This has two 12-episode seasons.

3.  High School of the Dead - This is a zombie outbreak anime.  It has some unrealistic scenes (as if zombies were realistic in the first place Big Grin   ) but overall it is better than a Hollywood horror story.  Two characters who know how to use firearms mentioned training in the US, one at an executive security class and the other with private lessons from an ex-specops soldier.  A kendo practitioner who is a normal human can dodge bullets better than Neo on "The Matrix." Rolleyes   One guy claims a Japanese sword is useless after 3 cuts but that could just be his ignorance.  There are 12 episodes in the first season, but the creator died so there will not be a second season.

4.  Goblin Slayer - A fantasy anime based on role-playing games.  My own theory is that the "gods" mentioned in the prologue are actually the players and GM in a RPG group.  What I found unique about the story is that they actually have levels like in RPGs, but do so in a way that makes sense, unlike the masses of bad animes (like Pokemon) where the point of the story is all the characters powering up.  Each character is a D&D type character class.  The main character learns as much information as possible in order to apply it to killing goblins.  One example is that he knew about dust explosions from talking to miners.  He uses cheap swords that are useless after killing 5 goblins, partially because he doesn't want them using quality weapons if he is killed.  I don't know where the writer learned about swords, because even a sword ground from cheap bar stock from Home Depot and not heat treated should still work after such light use.  There are 12 actual episodes and on clip show episode.  

5.  Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse-  This is set in an alternate timeline where apparently humans traveled to Mars and encountered a hostile alien race in 1958, lost a war against them for the Moon in 1967, and then the aliens invaded Earth in 1973.  The aliens don't seem to have technology and are various types of monsters, ranging from smaller ones a little bigger than humans that eat people to giant types that can destroy mecha.  Since the aliens have laser units that are good at shooting down airborne targets, the humans did not develop jet fighters like we have today and instead use mecha, and much of the mecha has the same names as fighters.  The USA has mecha named F-22 Raptor and F-18 Hornet, for example.  There are episodes where the characters fight the aliens but much of it is also 
focused on the characters, who are test pilots, training to improve their skills and to test new mecha.  The Japanese Empire and Soviet Union are still around.  I'm on Episode 17 or 24.