Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Baton or no???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCxQN_CorM
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(12-26-2018, 11:04 PM)jbarrow Wrote: To baton or no?

You still have to ask? That seems to wrap it up pretty good....  Smile

(12-27-2018, 12:30 AM)Bill Hay Wrote: Smile
(12-26-2018, 11:04 PM)jbarrow Wrote: To baton or no?

You still have to ask? That seems to wrap it up pretty good....  Smile

Smile Smile

However, is Herr Hitler the right person to consult?
Subsequent events rather proved his judgement was not good.

Tongue
(12-27-2018, 07:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: However, is Herr Hitler the right person to consult?
Subsequent events rather proved his judgement was not good.

Tongue

Smile   I have battonned and found it quick and effective. A small axe  like a GB Forrest is useful for many things but a folding saw and a blade with proper geometry for battonning seems to make sense to me for same reason.

I know that this is a hotly debated issue, but I can't understand that. Really, who gives a shit if someone batons or not? All that is just a matter of insufferable ego.

i.e., everyone bears the same two crosses, "I'm right" and "I'm obligated to set you straight".

Tools are always chosen (or should be) based on the tasks at hand. The environment is also critical. In the Sierra, where I used to play, I would consider carrying a SAK rucksack, a 4" belt knife, a folding pruning saw and an 8-9" blade. Anything too large to be processed with those tools was just not considered. There was TONS of dead pine for fires, and willow for tools/traps/etc. I wasn't building a cabin. If you have the Rucksack, you can do without the belt knife.

I broke a TOPS knife while batonning once, but the problem was mostly it having a crack from faulty heat treating. The rest of the problem was my beating it like a red-headed stepchild.

A blade can be used to baton without damaging it, technique is important. It would be stupid to condemn batonning because of my stupid behavior.

A big ole downed pine tree offers limbs that could be cut to size with the saw, then split with the big knife.

Mostly, I never had to do that, I just broke up pieces until they would fit on the fire. It's not rocket science.

As for an ax or hatchet, they sure have their place, no doubt. They are vastly superior to the big blade for chopping, but can be replaced with the saw. I can split with an ax or hatchet, but would never carry one just for that purpose.

I've horse packed into the Sierra and spent a week solo, several times. I always packed an ax along because the mule carried it.
Smile

In a survival kit, I'd stick to the blades identified above.

The concept of survival training is to learn how to get along with as little as possible, carry multiple use tools, and when a tool is not available adapt to using a different one.

Lol...

I don't care to baton, so guess what?  I don't.

I don't care if other people do, it's their biz.  Batoning is just one of many subjects that "bushcrafters" get their panties in a twist and rage about ad nauseum.

Now, if someone really wanted to get the conversation started, they would start up a discussion about single action batoning, bolt action batoning, semi-auto batoning and finally fully auto batoning.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

Thank you both. I wasn't trying to start a debate so I appreciate your forthrightness and input as always. I agree with you Bill that the SAK is very overlooked today but I never go in the outdoors without one. I thought the video was kind of funny and expressed one view in the batoning camp. I love the Hoodlum video where folks are seen chopping large limbs and Radio Ray picks one up, places it between two trees, fulcrums the other end and starts snapping firewood. Efficiency with little effort and very little effort. SMART!

(12-28-2018, 07:26 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: Lol...

I don't care to baton, so guess what?  I don't.

I don't care if other people do, it's their biz.  Batoning is just one of many subjects that "bushcrafters" get their panties in a twist and rage about ad nauseum.

Now, if someone really wanted to get the conversation started, they would start up a discussion about single action batoning, bolt action batoning, semi-auto batoning and finally fully auto batoning.

DD

So what is your recommendation for CC in a 9mm?  Do you prefer 9mm over 38spl?  Do you see a place for 38spl?? What is your favorite CC?

I fail to see why there is a need to baton.
Why split wood - just use smaller branches.
As for kindling, there is plenty of small twigs around.
Maybe there is a need to split wood, if so why is that - anyone?
(12-28-2018, 11:35 PM)jbarrow Wrote: So what is your recommendation for CC in a 9mm?  Do you prefer 9mm over 38spl?  Do you see a place for 38spl?? What is your favorite CC?

CC in 9mm?  Hehe....now that is a subject as fraught with peril as is the subject of batoning. As you well know, that argument has been raging for years.  Many decry the 9mm as ineffective and demand 40cal or above.  Others stand by a revolver in .38/357 as a better choice citing functioning issues.....and on and on and on....

What it really boils down to is personal choice.

To answer your final question properly: My favorite CC is a Springfield Range Officer, that was gifted me on my 60th birthday, in 45ACP.  I also prefer a Star Model B in 9mm, and as a hideout gun, a Ruger LCP in .380.  If the whim strikes me, I may carry a CYQ P-38, or even possibly a CZ-50.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(12-29-2018, 09:28 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I fail to see why there is a need to baton.

Wet twigs, when one is cold and desperate for fire....batoning warms up the body and then lets you shave/splinter and access the dry wood inside larger logs/branches when all the smaller ones around seem to be damp or wet...

I dont do it unless totally necessary, although I never have to fear with my swenson chopper or my Tops Hoodlum...they are more than baton capable...

I am more likely to go find dry twigs, birch bark and kindling under a large pine tree or other such protected area of the forest but I have battonned on occasion.... Big Grin

AOC

(12-28-2018, 07:26 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: Now, if someone really wanted to get the conversation started, they would start up a discussion about single action batoning, bolt action batoning, semi-auto batoning and finally fully auto batoning.

DD

you forgot the elusive FULL semi auto batoning....that is outright dangerous and should be banned  Tongue Tongue

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(12-29-2018, 09:28 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I fail to see why there is a need to baton.

The only time I used it when camping was before I even knew what batonning was or that it had a name.

It was to turn a stick into a flat piece of wood for the board for a bow & drill.  I wanted a plat piece of wood and figured out that the best way was to cut the round sides off of two sides of the stick.

For the most part IMO this is about knowing a knife can be put to hard use without breaking rather than actually doing that on a regular basis.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(12-29-2018, 07:21 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote:

The only time I used it when camping was before I even knew what batonning was or that it had a name.

It was to turn a stick into a flat piece of wood for the board for a bow & drill.  I wanted a plat piece of wood and figured out that the best way was to cut the round sides off of two sides of the stick.

For the most part IMO this is about knowing a knife can be put to hard use without breaking rather than actually doing that on a regular basis.

WOW that is another super important reason--for a fire board!!! Cool 

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I have found the 10mm to be pretty effective at splitting wood, but the Glock Model 40 (10mm) with the extended barrel length to require more clothing to carry concealed than my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II (.45acp)
9mm ccw is a fine calibre so long as bullet placement is adequate. Splits wood better with FMJ bullet types.
Andre Dumouchel

Having My Name and Living in Texas, it is simply assumed that I will Eat Anything and have Primitive Skills.

(Some Women like a Fella that has Primitive Skills!)

(Some Men Too, and That's Ok!)

Stupidity can be painful, and fun to watch from time to time.