Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glock 20 and Bear Attack
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/14/gl...Newsletter
WOWZAH!!!

what a story--thanks for posting that...it just affirms my worst fears about bears (once they have targeted you, a few shots to the chest may not deter them), but also affirms that if you have the will and some firepower, you can overcome!

wow, man what a crazy story, im surprised his dogs didn't help him more.

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I am afraid that unless trained, when confronted by a bear, most dogs would run.
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
I don't think a bigger gun would have helped him. If he almost left his Glock behind, the would have left something bigger and heavier behind.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
An "over-sized NFL linebacker with claws and big, pointy teeth."

What a vision.

Big Grin
This guy did almost everything wrong. What he didn't do was give up. He had a good gun. The rounds were a little light for my taste, but had good penetration. My EDC magazines are always new, or have new springs.

He started out with body shots, bad idea. Next he turned his back on the bear, and tried to run. Another bad idea. You can't out run a bear, you will just die tired. If the bear is close and already charging, stand your ground and start shooting. When he finally got around to shooting the bear in the head, the fight ended. One lucky bastard.
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
I heard just run and drop your pack.
The bear will stop to look at the pack and maybe rip it open - but at least you will not be.
(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: I heard just run and drop your pack.
The bear will stop to look at the pack and maybe rip it open - but at least you will not be.

Yeah, I have heard that as well. I have also heard that if you hang a little bell on your pack, the bears will hear you coming and move away. And that you should carry pepper spray, if the bell doesn't scare them off. Then just the other day I heard that they are finding bear poop, with bells in it, and that it smells like peppers.
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
That reminds me, I need to get a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock. My vacation time is 4 weeks away. I have 200 grain Double Tap ammo for my .40 Glock now. An upgrade my be a good thing.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
(Yesterday, 07:37 PM)muleskinner Wrote:
(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: I heard just run and drop your pack.

Yeah, I have heard that as well. I have also heard that if you hang a little bell on your pack, the bears will hear you coming and move away. And that you should carry pepper spray, if the bell doesn't scare them off. Then just the other day I heard that they are finding bear poop, with bells in it, and that it smells like peppers.

They would not attack me I'm their pal.

I was a big fan of yogi bear when I was a kid.

Tongue
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower