Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossbow Review
A couple weeks ago I purchased a Centerpoint XR175.  This is a recurve crossbow with a 175 lb pull and a velocity of 245 fps.

It came with a red dot scope, a quiver that can carry 6 bolts, a rope cocker, rail/string lube, and 4 16" bolts. 

Centerpoint is the archery division of Crosman.

This is my first real crossbow and I bought it mainly for recreational shooting.

It is difficult to pull the string back without using the rope cocker, but with the cocker it is pretty easy.

This is far more powerful than I expected.  I lost a few bolts and they went much farther than I thought they would.  I'll probably have to wait until Winter to find them.  At roughly $5.00 a bolt (with field tips) I decided to wait until I build a trap before shooting it more. 

So far I have no problem hitting an archery target at 30-35 yards. 

The 16" bolts penetrate too deeply and their fletching gets embedded in the target.  The 20" bolts I bought separately work better.

Some thoughts on the crossbow as a survival weapon:

I bought it just for target shooting, but I can see it being useful for hunting.  For self-defense, it can hit a person from outside the effective range of an untrained shooter with a pistol, but a follow-up shot would be very slow.

The string will wear out eventually, most likely faster than any part on a firearm or even an air rifle.  Spare strings and additional lube would be needed.

Bolts are bulky and expensive compared to most ammunition, especially if one is not just target shooting and is using broadheads.  I'm not about to shoot homemade bolts made up of dowels in something like this.  That would be very dangerous.

IMO a crossbow is more dangerous to the user than a firearm. 

A crossbow itself is more bulky than most firearms due to the shape. 

IMO a .22 rifle or even a pistol would be a more practical survival tool than a crossbow, assuming firearms are not banned where one lives.

A piston air rifle is probably also more practical for hunting (500 .177 pellets for the cost of one bolt,) though this would be better for defense.

All that said, this thing is fun to shoot and I'm fighting the urge to buy a compound crossbow, either by Centerpoint of Barnett.   Big Grin
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
i've had a Barrnet wildcat for about 30 years and they are alot of fun to shoot. living in Mass. you can't hunt with it unless your handicapped.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(09-04-2018, 05:59 PM)TRYKER Wrote: i've had a Barrnet wildcat for about 30 years and they are alot of fun to shoot. living in Mass. you can't hunt with it unless your handicapped.

HAHAHA its like the opposite in Canada--crossbows are the preferred method and encouraged for hunters who havent received their fire arm license yet....I chose the traditional bows which I make, because I can send a follow up shot in seconds if the beast charges me...the crossbow takes a while to re load.....

so if I go down to Mass and pretend to be mentally handicapped, Tongue will they let me hunt with that? or you mean strictly physical handicap?

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
so if I go down to Mass and pretend to be mentally handicapped, [Image: tongue.png] will they let me hunt with that? or you mean strictly physical handicap?

pause a tivly , just don't try it with anything illegal like a blowgun.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(09-08-2018, 11:21 PM)TRYKER Wrote: so if I go down to Mass and pretend to be mentally handicapped, [Image: tongue.png] will they let me hunt with that? or you mean strictly physical handicap?

pause a tivly , just don't try it with anything illegal like a blowgun.

hahah OK I wont....

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan