Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A matter of interest on knives.
I was browsing a knife stall last night here in Thailand, and saw a Bear Gryles folding scout knife.
The original knife is made in Portland Oregon and is a Gerber knife, which retails about $22, plus $8 p-packing on eBay.
On this stall, the Chinese copy was $8, and it looked a good copy.
There is a video of a comparison of the two knives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJ3Qf64JsQ
The Chinese copy is not as good, but nearly as good.
I have checked and these copies can be ordered by the 50, for $7 apiece.
Of course I object to the Chinese taking a western knife and copying it, however, if the Chinese can make this knife so cheap, why can the West not?
I object that the West cannot make this knife a lot cheaper. They should do, but maybe in Portland they have some extra taxes, and labor charges that put the price up. But mostly, I think it is simply greed that drives up prices in the West.
Anyone have a Bear Gryles folding scout knife, and if so – any good?
(08-03-2018, 07:53 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I object that the West cannot make this knife a lot cheaper. They should do, but maybe in Portland they have some extra taxes, and labor charges that put the price up. But mostly, I think it is simply greed that drives up prices in the West.

What the market will bear is the question. Rolleyes

High margin low volume v/s low margin high volume - it's a marketing issue.

High volume also means low unit cost to supplier.

Shy
(08-03-2018, 07:53 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: if the Chinese can make this knife so cheap, why can the West not?

Well, for one thing the US (and the West in general) does not not avail itself of child labor and similar cost-reduction techniques.  Costs can also be driven down when there is no regard for material standards.  In addition, much Chinese manufacturing is supported by government subsidies in order to maintain employment.  The Chinese government does everything in its power to move their products out to the world market.  Did you ever wonder how some small item can be sold on eBay for $3.50, with "free" shipping from China to the US?  It turns out the Chinese government provides free postal shipping to some companies in order to increase their penetration into our economy.

China has been waging economic war against the West for decades and is very good at it.
Wally
(08-03-2018, 11:58 PM)wmerrin Wrote: [quote pid='573225' dateline='1533282838']
China has been waging economic war against the West for decades and is very good at it.
Wally

[/quote]
They are very, Very, VERY good at the economic war.  I buy nothing from China, which I can avoid.  Unfortunately some things just can not be avoided from China.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(08-03-2018, 11:58 PM)wmerrin Wrote:
(08-03-2018, 07:53 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: if the Chinese can make this knife so cheap, why can the West not?

Well, for one thing the US (and the West in general) does not not avail itself of child labor and similar cost-reduction techniques.  Costs can also be driven down when there is no regard for material standards.  In addition, much Chinese manufacturing is supported by government subsidies in order to maintain employment.  The Chinese government does everything in its power to move their products out to the world market.  Did you ever wonder how some small item can be sold on eBay for $3.50, with "free" shipping from China to the US?  It turns out the Chinese government provides free postal shipping to some companies in order to increase their penetration into our economy.

Wally
West does not avail itself of child Labor Wally!
I was out delivering newspapers when I was ten!!
For a pittance!!!  Tongue
Yes it is the case. China is using unfair trading methods.
President Trump is right to demand the same tariffs on US goods to China as China has to pay for goods into the USA.
Here in Thailand, things are similar, for instance, processed foods have a 50 percent tax on them from the west, but even then they still raise the price further.
For instance lentils are B50 in Britain. Here in Thailand they are B150.
This is not a processed food, and this price rise is not 50 percent.
They put this price on the product because the Thais do not eat lentils. 
Foreigners do and the price is a result of demand, which is why I still write that the price of a Bear Grylls knife is too high from Portland, Oregon.
For some reason, US citizens pay more for knives than the British, which is why, imho, the price of a Bear Grylls knife is so expensive in the USA.
The way to match the price of a Bear Grylls knife with the price from China, is to set up a factory in on the Mexican side of Nogales, where the lovely cuddly Mexicans can make the knives.
When they smuggle themselves into the USA, they work for cheaper wages, and the taxes are maybe higher in the USA, so let them work just over the border and produce cheaper Bear Grylls knives.
Now about the situation in the middle East. The problem is obviously . . . 

Tongue
Whether or not people in one country pay more than people in another country do for knives also depends on the model and company.

I remember in the mid-2000s that the prices of the Boker Applegate-Fairbairn line doubled within just a few years, with the A-F Fighting Knife going from approx $75.00 to approx $150.00. These are imported from Germany. Maybe they doubled in Germany as well, or maybe that was just the USA prices.

Last time I was in the Philippines, Gerber Bear Grylls products were roughly the same as they were in the USA. The Geber CFB was maybe double the price. Pocket knives usually cost a bit more than their American prices.

Handmade bolos made to the customer's specification were far less than they'd go for in the USA. Strangely I saw people buying junky 1980s-style hollow handled survival knives for much more than the practical bolos.

American snack foods were maybe 2-3 times the price. SPAM and corned beef was the same, but with more varieties of SPAM than I knew existed. Anyone going to the Philippines might want to bring a few packs of American candy bars to give as gifts.

In the USA a pair of jika-tabi (Japanese shoe used for climbing which we use in the martial art I study) costs more than twice the price it does in Japan, but when people post links to buy them directly from Japan at low prices the shipping costs are very high.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I did notice that peanut butter was cheap in the  Philippines, that was maybe because they made their own.
I do like the look of the wooden bolo sheaths Benjamin.
I did not know wood knife sheaths were available.
(08-05-2018, 07:37 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I did notice that peanut butter was cheap in the  Philippines, that was maybe because they made their own.
I do like the look of the wooden bolo sheaths Benjamin.
I did not know wood knife sheaths were available.

Peanut butter is one of the things my dad asks for whenever we ship a balikbayan box to him.  He likes Jiff better than what they sell in the RP, but likes the Philippine coffee better than what they sell here.

Bolo sheaths are often made by different people than those who make the bolos, and when they do this the bolo maker will look for a sheath to fit the bolo, which is why sometimes they don't fit well.

Other people will make the sheaths to fit the bolos, and these will be the ones to get.

The bolo maker near my family compound has a large variety of bolos, some the size of kitchen knives.  He showed me a katana and wakizashi type bolo set he was making for a customer, and a handmade copy of the Cold Steel Kopis Machete another customer ordered.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
How much does a standard bolo cost with wooden sheath cost in the Philippines Benjamin?   Undecided
You can probably get one for around $12.00 IIRC. A small one would be less.

The big problem for me is bringing them back.

The government won't allow them out of Mindanao, supposedly this stops terrorism.

I could get one in Luzon, but to get good deals (and the specific bolo you want) you generally have to have it custom-made and that can take a couple weeks, so it is better to do that where you are staying, and for me that is Zamboanga.
(08-06-2018, 04:27 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: You can probably get one for around $12.00 IIRC.  A small one would be less.

The big problem for me is bringing them back.

The government won't allow them out of Mindanao, supposedly this stops terrorism.

I could get one in Luzon, but to get good deals (and the specific bolo you want) you generally have to have it custom-made and that can take a couple weeks, so it is better to do that where you are staying, and for me that is Zamboanga.

Seems a bargain Benjamin.