Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife Failure - First Time This Has Happened to Me
This isn't a big deal, and only delayed my task a couple seconds, but if it had been a defensive situation it would have made the knife useless.

I was going to shave a some splinters off a piece of wood I just cut with a saw, and my Byrd Cara Cara would not fully open.  I looked at it and noticed a large piece of lint was stuck between the base of the blade and the back of the lock.  The knife wasn't dirty, this lint just got wedged into it, probably shortly before this happened since I used the knife earlier today.  I just pulled it out and then able to open
the knife and the lock engaged. 

This isn't a flaw in the Cara Cara and could probably happen to any lockback.  As I was writing this I looked at my Emerson CQC-7BW and this could not have happened to it. 

I don't really see how to prevent something like this, and it is probably so rare that prevention would be a waste of time, and there are probably many other random and rare things that could happen to keep a knife, or any tool for that matter, from working.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Yep the bad ..... happened to a cold steel spartan with me
Any lock-blade carried in a pocket, pouch or purse, basically anywhere except in a knife sheath will be subject to having the same action happening to it.  I have experienced the same thing with lock-blades carried in my pocket, but never had that happen to one carried in a knife case or sheath.  Carrying a lock-blade in a knife case or sheath may not absolutely 100% guarantee the same event will not happen, but it eliminates the greatest potential for anything becoming lodged within the blades joint and preventing a complete opening & lock-up of the blade.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
My biggest concern is getting something like some sand stuck up under a liner lock, where you can't close the knife. You now have a fixed blade out somewhere, with no sheath...

(07-07-2018, 06:30 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: My biggest concern is getting something like some sand stuck up under a liner lock, where you can't close the knife.   You now have a fixed blade out somewhere, with no sheath...

Have you ever had that actually happen, or known of it happening, Bill?  Just curious!
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(07-07-2018, 06:43 PM)Jimbo Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 06:30 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: My biggest concern is getting something like some sand stuck up under a liner lock, where you can't close the knife.   You now have a fixed blade out somewhere, with no sheath...

Have you ever had that actually happen, or known of it happening, Bill?  Just curious!

No, I haven't...

I have never heard of it happening, and certainly haven't ever experienced it myself.  Neither had I ever considered that to be a potential problem, but sometimes problems come from left field. 

It would be interesting to know if any others have ever experienced a lock-blade becoming fouled or blocked in the locked 'open position' and disabled from being closed as you describe, Bill.
Jimbo

The funny thing is I've carried a lockback EDC since 1996, and opened the various lockbacks thousands of times and never had this problem. I'm not going to stop carrying one.

My self-defense knives I carry EDC are my two Emersons, one a liner lock and the other a small fixed blade, the LaGriffe.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Yeah, nothing to lose any sleep about, either failure possibility. Just something to think about.

BTW, what is your opinion on plain edge vs. fully serrated edge?

I generally prefer plain, but with a second knife I might choose a fully serrated. My Cara Caras are plain but both my Enduras are fully serrated.

I do have partially serrated knives like my CQC-7BW, but that is only because they only came in partially serrated. For every partially serrated knife I own I would have preferred them in plain if they were available.

I dislike serrations on fixed blades aside from kitchen knives.
(07-08-2018, 01:39 AM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: I  dislike serrations on fixed blades aside from kitchen knives.

Me too, and then just bread knives ............. although I think there is a strong case for serrations for mariners & divers. Shy

https://www.top-gear.co.nz/shop/SHOP+BY+...11611.html

(07-07-2018, 02:24 AM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: I looked at it and noticed a large piece of lint was stuck between the base of the blade and the back of the lock. 

Same thing can happen with ya belly-button Tongue

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navel_lint
I have a Benchmade AFCK that I carry daily at work for general purpose with the chance I may have to use it defensively.
Several times it fell out of my pocket and opened when it hit the road
I also had a Cold Steel fall out of my pocket in a footrace with a badguy and it was lost. Dodgy
Then I tried an appendix carry tucked in my waistband under my belt and the clip behind the first belt loop on my strong hand side, keeping the clip virtually out of sight from prying eyes. Idea
I discussed this method with the sergeant of our local street crime unit and he said he was going to get his guys to try it because perps see the clip and realize they have a weapon if needed neatly supplied by the police.
Very little belly button lint climbs that high and since adopting it I have had zero lint in the lock concerns
I also can feel the knife if it were to fall out which has not happened in the last ten years
When standing in the interview stance my thumb is inches away from accessing the knife which can be drawn and opened in seconds. Cool

Give it a try

Griz
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.