Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did 22 LR cost in the great depression?
[Image: 34091298_10215750264331713_1956753002312...e=5BBA5C36]
The little snippet of the article you showed was interesting, and I enjoy reading things of that nature, myself.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
When I was a kid in the 1960's,.22 LR rounds were 1cent per round. Many Sundays after church,we would stop at Robert's news stand on depot street in Youngwood PA,my dad would get the Sunday paper and a 500 round brick of .22 LR's,and we would spend the afternoon shooting. I want to go back in time.
Remington Wholesale Price List dated January 1, 1930
list .22 Long Rifle ammo prices as follows:

.22 Long Rifle Kleanbore - 7.00 /M
.22 Long Rifle Hollow Point Kleanbore - 7.60/M
.22 Long Rifle Palma Match LESMOK - 10.00/M
.22 Long Rifle Palma Match Kleanbore - 10.00/M

Remington Wholesale Price List dated January 15, 1932
list .22 Long Rifle ammo prices as follows:

.22 Long Rifle Kleanbore - 7.00/M
.22 Long Rifle Hollow Point Kleanbore - 7.60/M
.22 Long Rifle Palma Match LESMOK - 10.00/M
.22 Long Rifle Palma Match Kleanbore - 10.00/M
and added in this catalog were the following offerings:
.22 Long Rifle Palma Kleanbore Hi-Speed - 12.00/M
.22 Long Rifle Kleanbore Hi-Speed - 8.00/M
.22 Long Rifle Kleanbore Hi-Speed Hollow Point - 8.60/M
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
For comparison purposes, the Remington Dealers Price and retail cost price list which became effective January 8, 1958 listed the following products:

.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed, Kleanbore, 40gr wholesale list 15.60/M, 78 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed Hollow Point, Kleanbore, 36 gr wholesale list 17.60/M, 88 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Standard Velocity, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 15.60/M, 78 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Match for Rifles, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 23.60/M, 1.18/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Match for Pistols, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 23.60/M, 1.18/box retail 
.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed, Kleanbore SHOT, wholesale list 26.20/M, 1.31/box retail

The selections were fewer and the shot cartridges had been added.
Jimbo

(06-09-2018, 02:46 AM)Jimbo Wrote: For comparison purposes, the Remington Dealers Price and retail cost price list which became effective January 8, 1958 listed the following products:

.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed, Kleanbore, 40gr wholesale list 15.60/M, 78 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed Hollow Point, Kleanbore, 36 gr wholesale list 17.60/M, 88 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Standard Velocity, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 15.60/M, 78 cents/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Match for Rifles, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 23.60/M, 1.18/box retail
.22 Long Rifle, Match for Pistols, Kleanbore, 40 gr wholesale list 23.60/M, 1.18/box retail 
.22 Long Rifle, Hi-Speed, Kleanbore SHOT, wholesale list 26.20/M, 1.31/box retail

The selections were fewer and the shot cartridges had been added.

What was the pay scale then, what would they be when adjusted for inflation, I bought a case of ten thousand in about 1970 for about 45cents a box, I was making less than $2.00 per hour.
The Fair Labor Standard Act of 1938, set the minimum wage at 25 cents per hour ($4.28 in 2018 dollars), effective October 24, 1938.  The following year the federal minimum wage was raised to 30 cents per hour, or the equivalent of $5.28 in 2018 dollars.

In 1958 the federal minimum wage was $1.00 per hour or the equivalent of $8.68 per hour in 2018 dollars. 

I was teaching high school in 1970, at a salary of $440/month, and I received $370.10 of that to have & hold very briefly each month.  Based on an average month having 22 working day that equates to 176 hours worked (for the average eight hour work day) that salary was the equivalent of $2.50/Hr.  Admittedly, teaching school was more equivalent to 7 hours (8 - 3:30 = 7.5 hours - 30 minutes for lunch = 7 hours total), so based on 7 hours per day my hours decreased to 154, raising my hourly rate to $2.85 more or less per hour, compared to the Federal minimum of $1.45/Hr. ($9.48 in 2018 dollars) which became effective February 1970 and $1.60/Hr. ($9.91 in 2018 dollars) which became effective February 1971, roughly half way through the 1970-71 school term.
Jimbo

I don't know what they cost, but my dad used to buy .22 shorts for deer hunting. The store would break open a box and sell you one or two rounds at a time. He would sit up in the corn crib. The deer would come in just before dark to get some corn. From eight or ten feet away dad would shoot them behind an ear. I don't remember the model, it was a Remington semi auto .22 with the tube in the stock. It would not cycle the .22 shorts, dad loaded them one at a time.

Muleskinner
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
In the 1990s bricks of 500 were usually around $10.00 or less.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I once shot a penny out of the air with a 177 air pistol.
I bragged about it for a week at school after.
But what i did not tell the other kids was that, i shot at that penny at least 30 times before I hit it.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

I once saw a guy shoot an aspirin out of the air with a bow and arrow. Took him three tries.

The US Army used to have a training system to develop those skills called the "Quick Kill" system.

It used point shooting/instinct shooting with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. One person throws up a can and the other person shoots it without using the sights. Once he can hit it consistently they move to smaller and smaller targets until they are shooting aspirins.

There is a thread on point shooting where this is discussed and a link to a PDF of the training manual was posted.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Here's the thread:

http://forum.hoodswoods.net/showthread.php?tid=3204
Here is a good excuse for missing a target.
A pal of mine was at a gun range in Thailand, and he shot at the target three times.
There were only two in the bull.
He said, no I hit the bull three times but one shot went through a hole a previous shot had made.
How can anyone disprove it?

Big Grin
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

(09-12-2018, 06:24 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: How can anyone disprove it?

Big Grin

............that's why benchrest shooters have moving and stationary backers behind their targets in competition Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benchrest_shooting

http://www.ssaapara.org.au/Sections/benchrest