Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A useful survival aid.
A flashlight that emits SOS.
Some here might know of these, however for those that do not here is one:

Ultrafire C8 CREE XM-L T6 1000 lumen Flashlight SOS Mode

When lost or in trouble simply fix and point it in the direction a search party might arrive, and set it going after dark.

Pack extra batteries for extra life.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

That's actually a good potential item to have. I can see it possibly working well in mountainous locations where hikers or climbers get lost or fall down a cliff. Unfortunately, I think that rescue aircraft only fly in the day, so it may not help there.

I'd like to see a case where it worked, it at least sounds like a good idea.

(04-22-2018, 04:43 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: Pack extra batteries for extra life.

USB rechargable torches are especially convenient - they open up the opportunity for the use of power banks / adaptors.

http://www.bosch-pt.com.au/au/en/charger...00j61.html

https://www.banggood.com/ZNTER-S19-9V-40...ehouse=USA

https://www.bikebiz.com.au/antigravity-m...FDEALw_wcB

Charge your phone / torch / jump start the car (if you get the right one).

In the modern world access to power supply can mean instant rescue / illumination / communication / navigation / fire starting.

Shy
(04-22-2018, 11:06 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: That's actually a good potential item to have.  I can see it possibly working well in mountainous locations where hikers or climbers get lost or fall down a cliff.  Unfortunately, I think that rescue aircraft only fly in the day, so it may not help there.

I'd like to see a case where it worked, it at least sounds like a good idea.

Ah but in daytime, smoke and flashing mirrors could be used Bill.
My only point of concern is the battery life. I have searched the web and found no answer to Cree flashlight battery life.

There plenty of battery chargers Deerstalker, but I think the easiest option is simply extra batteries, and that all members of the group carry SOS flashlights.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

Hello Hoods,  I have been EDCing this: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQ9...PDKIKX0DER

For over two years on the same set of rechargeable aaa batteries.  Recharge them about every other week and use it a lot.  It has 5 modes, one of which is SOS.  What is unique is the ability to adjust the light intensity to conserve batteries.  By holding the button down and rotating it in your hand ( it senses the motion ) it adjusts from full bright to almost nothing.  The kit in the link comes with a pocket clip that really helps to keep from losing it.  I've dropped it off of a 10' ladder onto concrete with no damage.  And lowered it into a 35' deep well and it didn't leak.  It also has a strobe that you can adjust the flash frequency with the same button hold method.  And a lock off feature so it won't go dead in your pocket from an accidental button push.

I am a member of a search and rescue team in Arizona and we do call in helicopters for night searches.  They are reluctant to land unless conditions are good but they normally use night vision goggles and can spot the faintest of lights from a considerable distance and give us coordinates.  They have spotted cell phone screens from @ 3 miles off.  So don't discount being spotted at night and the SOS would be a dead ( preferably Live in this case ) giveaway that you are the party that needs help.

Big Grin  Ken H
The first flashlight I bought with this feature was the PAL, which I got right here from Hoods Woods a long time ago. I still have 3 PALs.

I also have a newer headlamp with an SOS strobe. I have one of the PALs in my daypack for short hikes and usually carry the headlamp on longer hikes and backpacking trips. Occasionally I carry both.

I agree it's a good feature and would look for it in any new headlamp or flashlight I was buying for hiking.

---George
Ah a welcome new member Ken H, especially as you appear to have some expertise in search and rescue.
So Bill, it seems that a flashlight SOS could be seen by searchers with night vision goggles. Good news.
However I think a better option might be to just invite a marathon runner along for the trip, and if any emergency occurs, the party can send aforementioned marathon runner for help.
Anyone on the forum a marathon runner?

PS That is an impressive flashlight you show Ken, the problem is for me is that I have a habit of losing items all the time.
Losing a flashlight costing $41 would depress me for a week.

Just a thought, would it be a nice addition to a mobile phone capacity, if the mobile phone could show a flashing SOS signal?
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

(04-28-2018, 06:36 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: ............if any emergency occurs, the party can send aforementioned marathon runner for help.
That's not an entirely new idea Pete Rolleyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides
Ken H, welcome to the forum.

The flashlight you recommended looks like it has a lot of good feature and I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience with it.

---George
Big Grin 
(04-28-2018, 12:48 PM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:36 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: ............if any emergency occurs, the party can send aforementioned marathon runner for help.
That's not an entirely new idea Pete Rolleyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Ah history repeats itself, however real Marathon runners would be glad of a day out trekking in the wilderness, especially the Kenyans and Ethiopians, who travel the world entering Marathons and winning them to make a good living.

10 Fastest Marathoners on Record-Eligible Course: Men, are all Kenyans and Ethiopians.
I hope they have work permits.

Big Grin
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

Limey said "PS That is an impressive flashlight you show Ken, the problem is for me is that I have a habit of losing items all the time.
Losing a flashlight costing $41 would depress me for a week."

I agree, and when I first got this lite I did lose it temporarily a few times. After the second lost issue I got a fat "O" ring that fit tightly around the lite and this helped dramatically to keep it from slipping out of my pocket as the "O" ring had some grip on the fabric. When I saw the Kit that is in the original link above I saw that they made a clip that fits on the lite and I found that these could be ordered separately so ordered 2. They work very well at retention of the light. Another strategy I use to keep from loosing stuff is to attach a tether with a metal end that will "clink" when it hits the ground to give me a warning that I have dropped it.
Yes I lost a Photon mini flash-lite about a month ago.
If it is small I will lose it.
My best source for small items is the dollar stores then I do not mind losing the item too much.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

(05-03-2018, 01:54 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: If it is small I will lose it.
If I have only one of something and I carry it religiously 24/7 I don't lose it (knock on wood) Rolleyes
Consistent daily routine is the best way to prevent gear losses IMO. Wink
(05-04-2018, 11:26 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 01:54 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: If it is small I will lose it.
If I have only one of something and I carry it religiously 24/7 I don't lose it (knock on wood) Rolleyes
Consistent daily routine is the best way to prevent gear losses IMO. Wink

Yup, and never set it down anywhere other that the pocket/ place it is stored!  Make good habits your masters.
How do you carry it religiously 24/7 Deerstalker?
Do you have to bless the item every two hours and wake up in the night to bless the item again?  Sad

Sorry I just could nor resist that Deerstalker.

Tongue
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill