Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Steel 2018
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/new-pr...ducts.html

This is a small line-up, and mostly folders.  I suspect they'll be adding more products.

So far the ones I like are the drop forged pushdagger (they have not made an all-steel push knife since the Urban Pal in the 1980s)  and the Luzon (I don't know why they chose the name, but a slim folder with a flipper/guard and a blade profile of a dueling Bowie looks good.)

The Mini Tac Bowie looks good and would be a good knife, but they kept the bad sheath design.  If they had the kydex cover and hold the knife at the choil rather than the subhilt, it would make the knife much easier to draw from multiple carry methods.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
$379.99 for a knife!
And it has a plastic scabbard.
A person has to really love knives to pay that price.
I would rather buy the cold steel baseball hat and pretend i own a $379.99 Cold Steel knife.
However the Mini Tac Bowie looks good for $29.99, apart from the plastic scabbard, but if I needed a knife that small I would go for a folding knife.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."

Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."

Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery
Knives are getting more expensive like all things.
I have a Shirogorov knife that I took to Africa with me and I just learned they are going for $1400.00 USD.
I hesitate to take it out of the house as I hesitate to use my Randalls, Ruanas and other custom knives.
Natives up northern Canada way use a lot of Old Hickory knives and they don't venture into the mountains and forests, they live there.
They may have deeper insight into knife selection and use.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
I have always been amazed by the high price of North American knivies, but my jaw hit the floor when I saw the price of Japanese knives, and others.

[*]Yoshihiro Mizuyaki Honyaki – Price: $5,000. ...
[*]Lancet Ouroboros Knife – Price: $5,500. ...
[*]Nenohi Honyaki Dentokougeishi Sakimaru Takobiki with Corian Handle – Price: $6,980. ...
[*]Black Panther Knife – Price: $7,700. ...
[*]Gentak Makara Knife – Price: $12,500. ...
[*]Monarch Steampunk Dragon Knife – Price: $18,500.

Imagine having one of those confiscated going through an airport.

Undecided
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."

Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."

Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery
These knives are part of Cold Steel's high end line made of San Mai III. They have always been expensive.

I have the original Tanto, the one the Master Tanto was based on. It is a well-designed knife with a good grip.

I do agree that they should have leather sheaths. Back when they did these sheaths were pretty good. Mine came with a good sheath, and the only issue I see with it is the use of velcro rather than a snap.

The prices listed are also the MSRP, which is only what they'd cost at mall stores or directly from Cold Steel. Buying from Cold Steel's Special Projects catalog will be cheaper, and buying from dealers will be much cheaper.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot