Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada - Folding Knife Ban
I guess this is kind of Old News since it came out a couple of weeks ago, but I just saw it.  According to Blade Magazine, "Canada Bans Imports of One-Hand Opening Knives".  Blade makes it sound like just about anything more advanced than an old slip-joint can't be brought across the border.  People going in should pay attention and Canadians coming out should leave their knives home or risk losing them on re-entry.

http://www.blademag.com/knife-news/canada-knife-ban

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Today on CNN a woman that goes by AOC completely decimates the Canadian government.
More at 9PM
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

Folowing in the footsteps of England and other countries. First ban guns, then when crime doesn't fall as advertised, go after knives.

There's a lesson for Americans who are paying attention.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ---Robert Heinlein

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shooting stuff-Bob the Nailer
(01-31-2018, 02:57 AM)Kid Couteau Wrote: Today on CNN a woman that goes by AOC completely decimates the Canadian government.
More at 9PM

Wink Big Grin

hahah well normally I would be all up in arms Kid..but....I am in such a good mood because of last evenings State of The Union address...nothing can take away my happy...as I stated on FB albeit a little jealous...very happy for my Merican bros and sis's.

Now down to the meat and potatoes of this-- issue

mmkay  let me see if I can make sense of what has changed only the red and underlined stuff is actually important

the ONLY change that was made on January 5 and 10th 2018 as a result of the court case was "(k) The definition of an automatic knife has been up-dated for clarification purposes"

I was already aware that...any spring, button or gravity assisted knives were prohibbity...or in lames terms not allowed Dodgy  ridiculous by the way...BUTT this recent decision does add another type of folder to the POTENTIALLY prohibited list.

Lets begin

In Can-yah-duh a prohibited weapon is:
  • (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife; or
  • (b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon.
"Paragraph (a)" weapons
18. Weapons that fall under paragraph (a) include the following:
  • (a) Automatic knife – An automatic knife is one that houses a blade that will open automatically by applying hand pressure to a button, spring, lever, or other device, in or attached to the handle of the knife, including knives that have a button, spring, lever, or other device, located in the spine of the handle and attached to the inner part of the blade.
  • Note: Knives that have a 'thumb stud' attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon, and as such do not generally fall under TI 9898.00.00. However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited. The misuse of knives may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
  • (b) Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that opens automatically through the use of centrifugal force. Centrifugal force may be defined as a force, arising from the body's inertia, which appears to act on a body moving in a circular path and is directed away from the centre around which the body is moving. That is, centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with the flick of the wrist.
  • Note that extra manipulation and a requirement for some skill to release the blade do not prevent a knife from being a prohibited weapon. A balisong or butterfly knife is a form of centrifugal knife with two handles that counter-rotate around the blade such that, when closed, the blade is concealed within grooves in the handles.
  • © Gravity knife – A gravity knife is a knife which may be opened automatically by force of gravity. The knife may be additionally controlled by a lever or button, but typically, applying pressure to such a device and pointing the knife downward will result in the knife's blade releasing and locking into place

• Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
    Customs Notice 18-01
    Ottawa, January 5, 2018
    Revised date – Ottawa, January 10, 2018
    1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in  Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).
    2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:
    1. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
    2. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

So in closing...only the red and underlined stuff is important--I guess what they are trying to say is a folder is OK as long as it is STIFF. if it can be gravity operated--its banned--and that was always the case but what they are trying to include now is gravity operated knives which have a guard keeping them closed I guess...they are saying that knives which have a thumb stud are ok, as long as you cannot easily flick them open..or deploy them in another manor. So most folders would be OK still....I HOPE!

Knives that have a 'thumb stud' attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon................... However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited

Oh Grizzly Dave what say you?  Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Oh just for further clarification in the article...it says most any knife that doesn't require 2 hands to open and I am not sure that is really true... as any folder with that little edge like SAK's have-- put on the blade for gripping with a finger nail can be opened with one hand....and they are allowed...one thing the article gets absolutely right is that it is really up to individual border agents and I don't like that

"Applies to Most Folding Knives

This applies to flippers, assisted openers, automatics or any blade that doesn’t require two hands to open. Much sway is given to CBSA officers’ judgement. A cautious traveler to Canada may want to leave all folding knives at home."

as well the part about "Devices shorter than 30 cm containing a concealed blade; including canes, daggers and multitools"

By concealed they don't mean hiding I believe they mean disguised as an innocuous object...I don't think multi tools count...in Canada there is NO minimum OR maximum length on fixed blade knives...there is however a min of 30 cm on push daggers

GOD DAMN all these rules be making my head spin! Huh

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(01-31-2018, 12:08 PM)quietmike Wrote: Folowing in the footsteps of England and other countries. First ban guns, then when crime doesn't fall as advertised, go after knives.

There's a lesson for Americans who are paying attention
Big Grin Oh so right you are Mike...
Peter Charles put it so well on FB...to ban guns for citizens.. because criminals commit crime with them is not only to forcibly condemn good Americans to death and rob them of god given constitutional rights....but is so utterly absurd in that it holds honest law abiding citizens to the standard of criminals...
retard logic...like Joes sister said...."if we ban guns then there wont be any guns for people to commit crimes with"...
crickets....uhhh ain't you ever heard of gaining fire arms ILLEGALLY.../??????????????
I am like biiitcch you need to be committed. INSANE, GOT NO BRAIN.
AOC

Make the rules confounding, confusing, and obtuse and allow for individual agents of the government to interpret as they see fit and you create a whole new level of control and perhaps new criminals that again you can try to exert control over or at least make prohibitions upon.

I'm sure our Canadian friends feel oh so much safer now in their homeland.
In jolly old England a man was aquitted of having a switch blade because he told them he was a scaffolder and had to have knife that he could open with one hand, while hanging on with the other hand - to the scaffold that is.
Maybe a man on a fishing boat could use the same defence.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."

Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."

Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery
It was similar shenanigans down here that led to the birth of the organization Knife Rights that I donate to every year. They've done a lot of good in Texas and across the country.
James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization!

Helm Enterprises, Forging Division - http://www.helmforge.com

Helm Enterprises, Grinding Division - http://www.helmgrind.com

A collaboration with Wasteland Leatherwork: wastelandcrow.blogspot.com
(02-01-2018, 03:58 PM)Stormcrow Wrote: It was similar shenanigans down here that led to the birth of the organization Knife Rights that I donate to every year.  They've done a lot of good in Texas and across the country.

damn COOL maybe we need one of them here! Ill look into it...but we belong to the queen...and she doesn't like guns or knives...unless they are held by her guards Sad

AOC

(02-01-2018, 02:39 AM)mjh Wrote: Make the rules confounding, confusing, and obtuse and allow for individual agents of the government to interpret as they see fit and you create a whole new level of control and perhaps new criminals that again you can try to exert control over or at least make prohibitions upon.

I'm sure our Canadian friends feel oh so much safer now in their homeland.

ahh the old smoke and mirrors trick.... Big Grin  that works with most of the sheeple round here...

I for one would feel a helluva lot safer if the damn gov would butt out and respect my rights for once in my tiny insignificant little life Big Grin Big Grin

AOC

(01-31-2018, 06:17 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 02:57 AM)Kid Couteau Wrote: Today on CNN a woman that goes by AOC completely decimates the Canadian government.
More at 9PM

Wink Big Grin

hahah well normally I would be all up in arms Kid..but....I am in such a good mood because of last evenings State of The Union address...nothing can take away my happy...as I stated on FB albeit a little jealous...very happy for my Merican bros and sis's.

Now down to the meat and potatoes of this-- issue

mmkay  let me see if I can make sense of what has changed only the red and underlined stuff is actually important

the ONLY change that was made on January 5 and 10th 2018 as a result of the court case was "(k) The definition of an automatic knife has been up-dated for clarification purposes"

I was already aware that...any spring, button or gravity assisted knives were prohibbity...or in lames terms not allowed Dodgy  ridiculous by the way...BUTT this recent decision does add another type of folder to the POTENTIALLY prohibited list.

Lets begin

In Can-yah-duh a prohibited weapon is:
  • (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife; or
  • (b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon.
"Paragraph (a)" weapons
18. Weapons that fall under paragraph (a) include the following:
  • (a) Automatic knife – An automatic knife is one that houses a blade that will open automatically by applying hand pressure to a button, spring, lever, or other device, in or attached to the handle of the knife, including knives that have a button, spring, lever, or other device, located in the spine of the handle and attached to the inner part of the blade.
  • Note: Knives that have a 'thumb stud' attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon, and as such do not generally fall under TI 9898.00.00. However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited. The misuse of knives may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
  • (b) Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that opens automatically through the use of centrifugal force. Centrifugal force may be defined as a force, arising from the body's inertia, which appears to act on a body moving in a circular path and is directed away from the centre around which the body is moving. That is, centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with the flick of the wrist.
  • Note that extra manipulation and a requirement for some skill to release the blade do not prevent a knife from being a prohibited weapon. A balisong or butterfly knife is a form of centrifugal knife with two handles that counter-rotate around the blade such that, when closed, the blade is concealed within grooves in the handles.
  • © Gravity knife – A gravity knife is a knife which may be opened automatically by force of gravity. The knife may be additionally controlled by a lever or button, but typically, applying pressure to such a device and pointing the knife downward will result in the knife's blade releasing and locking into place

• Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
    Customs Notice 18-01
    Ottawa, January 5, 2018
    Revised date – Ottawa, January 10, 2018
    1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in  Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).
    2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:
    1. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
    2. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
So in closing...only the red and underlined stuff is important--I guess what they are trying to say is a folder is OK as long as it is STIFF. if it can be gravity operated--its banned--and that was always the case but what they are trying to include now is gravity operated knives which have a guard keeping them closed I guess...they are saying that knives which have a thumb stud are ok, as long as you cannot easily flick them open..or deploy them in another manor. So most folders would be OK still....I HOPE!

Knives that have a 'thumb stud' attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon................... However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited

Oh Grizzly Dave what say you?  Big Grin

AOC
 Hi AOC,

Given your 'signature' & the Jefferson quote, I thought you might be interested in this by Blaise Pascal,  Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical” 

Just FWIW.
Tuum nosce hostem. Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.
(02-02-2018, 01:14 AM)ratel102 Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 06:17 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
More at 9PM

Wink 

AOC
 Hi AOC,

Given your 'signature' & the Jefferson quote, I thought you might be interested in this by Blaise Pascal,  Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical” 

Just FWIW.

Ain't that the truth man... Great quote! It's almost similar to this peace by force mantra  Smile

He sounded like a right intelligent fellow...good head on his shoulders...seems to have had a dis-trust and dis-taste for organized religion and most governments too, but adored the ways of Jesus Christ....COOL beans..

“People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.” 
― Blaise PascalDe l'art de persuader

AOC