Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bannock
A History of Pearl Ash

http://homesteadlaboratory.blogspot.com/...ction.html
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

Has anyone else tried mixing the bannock a little early and add in about a 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast?  Gives a "yeast biscuit" flavor that makes a pretty nice change.
Life ain't nothin but a funny funny riddle..... J. Denver
(12-02-2017, 12:59 AM)WayneH Wrote: Has anyone else tried mixing the bannock a little early and add in about a 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast?  Gives a "yeast biscuit" flavor that makes a pretty nice change.

I have not but sounds like I'll need to try this.... Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Nice link, DD. What I was surprised to see them gloss over, though, is that hydroxides are hygroscopic--they pull water from the air. You can start with a jar full of dry prills of sodium or potassium hydroxide, but leave the lid off the jar overnight and you'll have lyewater.

What's more likely to be present than hydroxides is *oxides* and oxides are not generally very soluble in water. Oxides are *great* at scavenging carbon dioxide, though, and that's how you generate clean carbonates. They sort of mention that. Smile

One experiment we used to do with freshmen was to boil up a quicklime (calcium oxide) solution to make limewater. Then we'd dip a tube into the limewater and blow through the tube. It would precipitate the CO2 in your breath as pure crystals of calcium carbonate. This is the same process that causes stalagmites and stalactites to form inside caves. Big Grin

Then, for the most enterprising students, we'd set up a jug with yeast and sugar to generate carbon dioxide all on its own...
Men are, that they might have joy.
Jf you add yeast to the mix it is no longer bannock, it is leavened bread.
Bannock is a biscuit mix which uses baking powder as a riser. If you let it sit and not cook it immediately after mixing it will not rise as well.
I use a recipe which I got 35 years ago from a first nations lady in Fort MacMurray Alberta.
mix 1/4 lbs butter into 1 cup of warmed milk
Mix 4 cups of flour with 6 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt and 1 TBSP sugar
Mix the milk butter into the dry mixed portion
I make my bannock in scone form because it seems to cook better but it can be cooked in a pan or on a stick.
Cook until a stick pierce into the dough comes out dry.
My wife has a grain intolerance but can't resist my bannock
Enjoy

Griz
PS I did this from memory but it is close enough for the girls I cook for
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.