Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Stoves
I started tinkering with stoves made from V8 cans and soda cans earlier this year.  I got a kick out of it because it costs nothing, they are incredibly useful and lightweight, and because I get to build something.  The recycling aspect is a bonus too.

My favorite stove is this little V8 can, penny-style, alcohol burner.  It came out well and I became fond of it.

[img][Image: ov6RPcK.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: jdSg8g1.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: v7YprVT.jpg][/img]

I began taking all of the undented cans out of the recycling bin at work and making stoves during my lunch break.  I gave a bunch away (at least 40 so far) and experimented with a lot of different designs.

[img][Image: y2Dsl0m.png][/img]

More recently I switched from coffee to one Red Bull in the morning.  Suddenly, my supply of the smaller diameter cans shot through the roof.  I experimented with new pot stands too.  Here is one of the nicer ones I made recently.  I gave this one to a buddy who is just starting to get into outdoorsy stuff.  Paired with a little Imusa pot, it made him very happy.

[img][Image: vA6zbe9.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: ljD3CvA.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: hc1Hd69.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: dyRS44B.jpg][/img]

And holy cow.  The pics worked.

Post up your stoves if you've made some.
I'm getting tooled up for the aluminum beer can types now too.  I'll post some pics eventually.
That was a GREAT tutorial on the subject.  Thank you!  Appx. how much fuel does it take to boil a liter of water?  What type of fuel do you use? and where do you access you fuel supply from?
Always drink upstream from the herd.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Well its just roughed out, you know." -Archer-

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some

may call that bribery. We do not apologize."

-Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
In reference to my original little V8 can stove:

The stove ran for 00: 10:07 on 30ml (1.014oz).
It brought 500ml (16.9oz) to a rolling boil in about 00:09:25. (a rolling boil is subjective)
The outside temp was 6.1 C (43 f) and the tap water temp is 20.42 C (68.75 f)
My elevation is about 110'
Yellow bottle Heet was used as fuel.
The max capacity of the stove is roughly 50ml (1.69oz) so I'm guessing I could get a good 15 minutes out of it.

[Image: S7tegj8.jpg]
[Image: hBRwwVD.jpg]
[Image: RvO2Er0.jpg]
[Image: 11ODY0J.jpg]

If you check out zenstoves.net there is a ton of info on construction and fuels. I use either HEET in the yellow bottle (automotive product) or denatured alcohol. HEET seems to burn cleaner and leaves much less soot on your pots. DO NOT USE HEET IN THE RED BOTTLE.
I should also point out that the test was done without a lid. I normally use some tin foil as a lid with this pot which helps the water boil faster.

[Image: 65wmA55.jpg?1]
Good system! Love the clear pics!

Who do you go thru to post pictures? I need to get my butt turned in the right direction for posting. Gotta get away from Photobucket.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
(10-13-2017, 09:12 AM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: Good system! Love the clear pics!

Who do you go thru to post pictures? I need to get my butt turned in the right direction for posting. Gotta get away from Photobucket.

I just started using Imgur for posting on this forum.  I have very little experience with them but anybody is better than photobucket.  I (and many other people) got screwed by those jokers.

With Imgur, you can get the IMG code to drop right into your post here on MyBB, so no other linking or inserting is necessary.
(10-13-2017, 11:29 AM)Dashing Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 09:12 AM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: Good system! Love the clear pics!

I just started using Imgur for posting on this forum.  I have very little experience with them but anybody is better than photobucket.  I (and many other people) got screwed by those jokers.

With Imgur, you can get the IMG code to drop right into your post here on MyBB, so no other linking or inserting is necessary.

Thank you very much! I'ved heard of them but have been too busy to try them out.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"