Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beef Jerky (or Any Jerky)
Anyone have any recipes or ideas of using beef (or other meat) Jerky, reconsituted in dishes?

I have made one that comes out pretty good:

Take some Jerky (small amounts and cut in small peices as it will grow almost 3-4 times it's size)

Freeze dried potatoes (I get those prepared meals... like Augratin Potatoes, removed the bag of dried potatoes, or dehydrate em on your own..

Durkee freeze dried mushrooms

Onion flakes

Garlic powder

Flour (to thicken)

Mix all in pot and simmer, for long time! Or boil and it rehydrates faster. Keep extra hot or boiling water on hand to add to it as it will soak up the water. I also keep some beef bullion on hand to add near the end if I need to. Some Jerky's add more flavor than others. It also tends to be salty so don't add any salt till you taste it.

Nice to just toss all the ingedients into a pot, put it in/on the coals and get to setting up camp/shelter. Nice warm meal. Light weight too.
I regularly carry jerky when out and about.....jerky (I just salt it then dry it, no other spices) with some dried corn and pease.....boiled together.....with a few pinches of corn meal as a thickener....makes a very fine "chowder"......
Cheers,

Stonedog

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Winter is Coming

-Stark family words
Yeah,

Jerky & cornmeal is okay. Best way I found to reconstitute jerky is to lightly pound it to separate the fibres. Of course my home-style jerky is kinda dry, just meat an' that's all.

You see those little dollar-to-fist-sized stones in the Indian Museums with the groove pecked around the diameter?...jerky & berry mashers. Good enough fer those women who used them for 10,000 years, good enuff fer us.

I notice I never eat this stuff at home...ever. <Old Taos shudders at the very thought of a jerky stew cooked on top of the electric stove>
Taos

Tracers Work Both Ways.
I use jerky when I to thermos cooking, seems to resonstitue well with that. First off you have almost fill your thermos with water. Pour that water in your cook pot, make a notation of where it goes, a scratch in the side, or maybe judge by your knuckle how far the water is the from the top, whatever but that height is important to do this. Billy cans are great you can use the ridge lines to judge how much water ya need. Anyway, when ya get out on the trail usually after I eat breakfast. I put the ingredients in the billy can, and chunk up the jerky so it is smaller bits that will go though the thermos mouth before and AFTER swelling up. Usually Noodles (ramen are great for this HEHE) dehydrated veggies, sun dried tomatoes, wild greens I found. all goes in the pot, fill with water till I hit the mark I made. Put on coals and bring to boil. I like to let it boil a few minutes, then pour the whole shabang into the thermos (I funnel REALLY helps.) Put the cap one and put it on it's SIDE at the bottom of my pack. around lunch time I can chow down on some grub. No cooking needed cause it is already cooked through, and is usually pretty dang warm yet. (just rememeber to preheat your thermos..AKA heat up water for your morning tea or whatever dump it in, cap it and let it sit while you eat breakfast then dump it out..and dump in your soup..

Yes I'm lazy..but it gets the job done.

Lara
I use diced jerky in all of my main field meals, usually with instant rice or ramen and dried or local veggies.

I make most of my jerky with salt, pepper, assorted spices and a hickory liquid if it's going in the electric dryer or hickory chips if I get the time to use the smoker.

Jerked meat shouldn't just be for emergencies, it's a snack or suppliment as well (like when my wife needs foul/fowl, I suppliment my diet with real meat!). This will help you keep the turnover timed appropriately that you won't lose your meat to age.

I slice my jerky to 1/8 - 1/4" wide (across the grain) and let it boil with the water, it tends to make a broth well before I add my rice or noodles(ramen) and dried veggies. Don't forget the spices if you need real flavor, cayenne, tobasco, chili's, salt, cumin, sage. Add garlic, pepper, fresh herbs at the end.

Dried refied beans are awesome too, I make mine from scratch but even the canned ones aren't bad and they can add some significant protein and texture to a meal.

Nom
I rarely post so this must be extremely important!

Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent.