Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Knives and Assorted Weapons (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Glock 20 and Bear Attack (/showthread.php?tid=49911)

Pages: 1 2

Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Scottman - 09-15-2018

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/09/14/glock-20-ends-bear-attack-just-barely/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2018-09-15&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Adapt-Overcome-Conquer - 09-17-2018

WOWZAH!!!

what a story--thanks for posting that...it just affirms my worst fears about bears (once they have targeted you, a few shots to the chest may not deter them), but also affirms that if you have the will and some firepower, you can overcome!

wow, man what a crazy story, im surprised his dogs didn't help him more.

AOC

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - jbarrow - 09-17-2018

I am afraid that unless trained, when confronted by a bear, most dogs would run.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Benjamin Liu - 09-17-2018

I don't think a bigger gun would have helped him. If he almost left his Glock behind, the would have left something bigger and heavier behind.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Limey Pete - 09-18-2018

An "over-sized NFL linebacker with claws and big, pointy teeth."

What a vision.

Big Grin

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - muleskinner - 09-19-2018

This guy did almost everything wrong. What he didn't do was give up. He had a good gun. The rounds were a little light for my taste, but had good penetration. My EDC magazines are always new, or have new springs.

He started out with body shots, bad idea. Next he turned his back on the bear, and tried to run. Another bad idea. You can't out run a bear, you will just die tired. If the bear is close and already charging, stand your ground and start shooting. When he finally got around to shooting the bear in the head, the fight ended. One lucky bastard.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Limey Pete - 09-19-2018

I heard just run and drop your pack.
The bear will stop to look at the pack and maybe rip it open - but at least you will not be.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - muleskinner - 09-19-2018

(09-19-2018, 03:29 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: I heard just run and drop your pack.
The bear will stop to look at the pack and maybe rip it open - but at least you will not be.

Yeah, I have heard that as well. I have also heard that if you hang a little bell on your pack, the bears will hear you coming and move away. And that you should carry pepper spray, if the bell doesn't scare them off. Then just the other day I heard that they are finding bear poop, with bells in it, and that it smells like peppers.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Tn Ridge Rover - 09-19-2018

That reminds me, I need to get a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock. My vacation time is 4 weeks away. I have 200 grain Double Tap ammo for my .40 Glock now. An upgrade my be a good thing.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Limey Pete - 09-20-2018

(09-19-2018, 07:37 PM)muleskinner Wrote:

Yeah, I have heard that as well. I have also heard that if you hang a little bell on your pack, the bears will hear you coming and move away. And that you should carry pepper spray, if the bell doesn't scare them off. Then just the other day I heard that they are finding bear poop, with bells in it, and that it smells like peppers.

They would not attack me I'm their pal.

I was a big fan of yogi bear when I was a kid.

Tongue

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Adapt-Overcome-Conquer - 09-20-2018

(09-17-2018, 10:32 PM)jbarrow Wrote: I am afraid that unless trained, when confronted by a bear, most dogs would run.

You are likely 100% correct there, I just thought maybe...they might have had some training because they were hunting dogs or something and ...they were the ones who started in with the bear, they seem somewhat bad to not finish it and desert their poor master haha.

well I hope and pray that my dog would tear his face off!

(09-18-2018, 08:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: An "over-sized NFL linebacker with claws and big, pointy teeth."

What a vision.

Big Grin

reminds me of my old home room teacher in high school Sick ...you would need more than 1 pick-in-ick basket to keep her at bay; hell Id rather face the linebacker bear!

(09-19-2018, 11:01 PM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: That reminds me, I need to get a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock. My vacation time is 4 weeks away. I have 200 grain Double Tap ammo for my .40 Glock now. An upgrade my be a good thing.

Cool Dodgy  upgrade.

I am so happy that you Americans can at least protect yourselves from a quite savage and painful death---can you believe it Ronnie....we are actually NOT allowed (at least in my part of Eastern Ontario) to actually walk in the woods with any fire arm, not even a dinky lil .22 
(if its not during hunting season), and the RCMP thinks self defense from bear is not a valid reason to have and carry one! Angry absurd....their reasoning is that its rare but still....I dont let them stop me...I just carry a big effing knife and my bow...and delude myself into thinking it wont happen to me.

AOC

(09-19-2018, 07:37 PM)muleskinner Wrote:

Ya Limey, muleskinner must be spot on, I have heard that under no circumstances are you ever to run...no matter what--with black bear you stand your ground and fight with everything you got even punch and bite him if your unarmed and opposite with brown bears is said to be true--though not sure i believe it--- I have heard you're to become as non threatening as possible...but I did read a story about people's backpacks saving their lives multiple times--because when the Grizz was mauling them they lay on their bellies and it protected them from some of the bears teeth and claws...

I have researched that most black bears are quite skiddish around humans, if you have one thats not afraid but curious--you'll probably need to fight it to the death.... only in the instances where brown bears are being territorial is it beneficial to curl up small and just stay quiet (where the old saying play dead comes from, think the Revenant) say if the male brown bear feels challenged for territory or the female bear feels encroached upon --worse with cubs...

I guess if a brown bear was hungry and attacking you for the other reason--for food..I suppose an unarmed individual would stand literally zero chance.. but also I have read that if a brown bear mauls you and you do stay quiet long enough to succeed in convincing it that you are dead, sometimes they leave you to season for a day to a few, kick leaf litter on you and you can get away later....

Do you think that's true muleskinner? i mean about standing no chance against (unarmed) a Grizz hell bent on a meal? and what "they" say about the protocol/procedure for a brown vs black bear attack?

this one is scary---i wonder if its real or photoshopped... Huh 5 shots to make him go down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8R9fwsEA6M

AOC

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - muleskinner - 09-21-2018

A grown grizzly can knock down and kill a grown moose in less time than it takes to tell about it. An unarmed human would have no chance at all, unless the bear changed his mind and walked away. When I was a kid growing up in Michigan, there was a story in a popular hunting magazine about a man who fought and killed a black bear with a pocket knife. The fight lasted for hours.

I have heard that black bears make fewer bluff charges than a grizzly. I have never tested this myself. I have talked to people who have killed grizzly with a .22 magnum. I have seen my grandmother chase a sow black bear with two cubs off her back porch with a broom. They were trying to get at an apple pie that was cooling on the window sill.

When I venture into bear country, I am armed. My preferred hand gun is a 3" Ruger Redhawk, with my own hand loads. If I were foolish enough to be fishing in the same stream with a grizzly or brown bear, I would be carrying a semi auto 12 guage loaded with slugs.

Simply having a firearm is not enough. You must be able to use it, and I mean really use it. Shooting at tin cans at twenty five yards, is not the kind of practice, I mean. Being able to put three rounds in a milk jug at ten feet in a second and a half, is the kind of thing I am talking about. Practice, practice, practice.

RE: Glock 20 and Bear Attack - Bill Hay - 09-21-2018

Yeah... Perfect advice. "Having a gun makes you safe like having a piano makes you a concert pianist."

Firearm skills have a half-life, you stop practicing, your skills begin to deteriorate.