Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
1000 per week - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Knives and Assorted Weapons (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: 1000 per week (/showthread.php?tid=49846)

1000 per week - Deerstalker - 06-18-2018

more or less Shy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ6szTerxig

RE: 1000 per week - Deerstalker - 06-19-2018

Flat v/s convex [Image: smiley.gif]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBkggfa3j9w

RE: 1000 per week - jbarrow - 06-19-2018

You need to be aware that they put an addictive substance in the handles which cause you to purchase more and more. Great company to deal with and wonderful product. I believe there was a falling out between Mike and a couple of folks on this forum years ago. I don't know all the details. Currently they are a great company to deal with.
Most edges are convex or beveled be they flat, Sabre or hollow ground. Stropping a convex to scary sharp requires very little in materials and gives an amazing edge.

RE: 1000 per week - Deerstalker - 06-19-2018

(06-19-2018, 01:12 PM)jbarrow Wrote: You need to be aware that they put an addictive substance in the handles which cause you to purchase more and more. 

I had no idea they were sustaining that volume (with that quality & variety), they must be doing something right, and they are doing it a thousand times per week apparently Rolleyes

RE: 1000 per week - Stormcrow - 06-25-2018

I'm working on increasing my production, but I can't foresee ever doing 1000 a week. I'll be going great guns if I ever make 1,000 a year! Big Grin

RE: 1000 per week - Deerstalker - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 02:56 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: ...........can't foresee ever doing 1000 a week. 

Maybe you need an apprentice Wink

RE: 1000 per week - Stormcrow - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 04:39 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 02:56 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: ...........can't foresee ever doing 1000 a week. 

Maybe you need an apprentice Wink

Working with some other San Antonio-area makers to throw some CNC at it.  Big Grin

RE: 1000 per week - Jimbo - 06-27-2018

(06-25-2018, 02:56 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: I'm working on increasing my production, but I can't foresee ever doing 1000 a week.  I'll be going great guns if I ever make 1,000 a year!  Big Grin
I started to say it all boils down to quantity or quality, but that is not necessarily true in all situations.  But to have that volume and maintain the quality, the overhead (cost of production, maintaining the equipment & office complex, shipping, receiving, coordinating the flow of goods & services, etc., etc., all accounts for a bit of the profit from each & every knife) is enormous.  Even with well trained, experienced & satisfied employees there will be some problems from time to time.  Typically the larger the operation, the larger the problems when they do develop. 

The bottom line may be a lot larger, but there are a lot more expenses eating away at it also. 

There is a lot more to life than just making a living.  Enjoying life, enjoying where you live, enjoying what you do earning that living, makes life a lot more enjoyable than just a larger income alone.

RE: 1000 per week - Stormcrow - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018, 03:18 AM)Jimbo Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 02:56 AM)Stormcrow Wrote: I'm working on increasing my production, but I can't foresee ever doing 1000 a week.  I'll be going great guns if I ever make 1,000 a year!  Big Grin
I started to say it all boils down to quantity or quality, but that is not necessarily true in all situations.  But to have that volume and maintain the quality, the overhead (cost of production, maintaining the equipment & office complex, shipping, receiving, coordinating the flow of goods & services, etc., etc., all accounts for a bit of the profit from each & every knife) is enormous.  Even with well trained, experienced & satisfied employees there will be some problems from time to time.  Typically the larger the operation, the larger the problems when they do develop. 

The bottom line may be a lot larger, but there are a lot more expenses eating away at it also. 

There is a lot more to life than just making a living.  Enjoying life, enjoying where you live, enjoying what you do earning that living, makes life a lot more enjoyable than just a larger income alone.

Not worrying about whether you can cover your bills each month adds to the enjoyability.  Big Grin   Plus there is an ever-increasing list of projects that I just want to do with CNC.  It's not going to cut into my forging time, for sure!

I don't really think I want to get to the point of 1000 a week, but if I was moving 10 units a week, I'd be sitting pretty comfortably and could probably spend some time visiting parts of the country I've never seen before.

RE: 1000 per week - Deerstalker - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018, 04:00 AM)Stormcrow Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 03:18 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Typically the larger the operation, the larger the problems when they do develop. 

Not worrying about whether you can cover your bills each month adds to the enjoyability.  Big Grin   

All true, I used to employ 25 full time staff & then subcontractors on top - turnover does not equal profit Confused