Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
A Little Bowie History - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Knives and Assorted Weapons (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: A Little Bowie History (/showthread.php?tid=49701)

A Little Bowie History - jbarrow - 01-12-2018

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/knife-attributed-to-jim-bowie-s-brother-given-to-ranger/article_d48302a3-6079-5ede-a2fe-cdad849a50b2.html

RE: A Little Bowie History - Theophilus - 01-12-2018

Now THAT'S a knife!
Theophilus

RE: A Little Bowie History - Grizzly Dave - 01-13-2018

Thanks for sharing this with is big Jim, I have some thoughts on the subject which I hope are received in the spirit in which they are offered.
Rezin Bowie did give knives to several persons he admired and usually they were purchased not made by him and engraved.
The knife pictured is not an early Bowie pattern as are the knives attributed to Shively and James Black which were guard-less.
This appears to be a British pattern import due to the bevel grind on the clipped point extending into the spine. But Davey Crockett was reported to have a Wolstenholm Bowie knife at his demise at the Alamo.
Joe Musso of California knows all about the difficulty in having a proposed knife belonging to the Bowie brothers accepted. He had metallurgy tests which came up positive for the time period and local of Black's smithy both in the steel and the brass, but like a murder trial, without continuity of evidence there is no definitive proof.
The Musso Bowie was purchased by Phil Collins and later donated to the Alamo museum along with a large collection of Alamo items both American and Mexican. Collins was a huge Alamophile.
I hope they can find out more on this knife it surely is interesting.

Grizled Dave

RE: A Little Bowie History - Stormcrow - 01-13-2018

Interesting.

Got to see a Searles Bowie on display the first time I went to the Alamo. Never cared too much for the design, but on sight of it I got goosebumps. Smile It was *really* well-made.

RE: A Little Bowie History - jbarrow - 01-14-2018

I agree Grizzly Dave. We have had this discussion before and the design you have previously posted makes lot more sense. I just found it interesting that the debate continues, each side wanting to own the original. It will be interesting as we continue to follow it. JB

RE: A Little Bowie History - pjb - 01-14-2018

(01-14-2018, 03:23 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I agree Grizzly Dave.  We have had this discussion before and the design you have previously posted makes  lot more sense.  I just found it interesting that the debate continues, each side wanting to own the original. It will be interesting as we continue to follow it.  JB

Like THE Phil Collins.??signer??

RE: A Little Bowie History - Jimbo - 01-18-2018

Yes a large knife and interesting story.  Regardless of our thoughts & beliefs, providence is often very elusive in most of these cases.

RE: A Little Bowie History - Stormcrow - 01-18-2018

(01-14-2018, 06:49 PM)pjb Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 03:23 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I agree Grizzly Dave.  We have had this discussion before and the design you have previously posted makes  lot more sense.  I just found it interesting that the debate continues, each side wanting to own the original. It will be interesting as we continue to follow it.  JB

Like THE Phil Collins.??signer??

Yep, he's a big Alamo fan and owns and narrates (or did several years ago) a diorama enactment of the siege.

RE: A Little Bowie History - rcwalla - 01-19-2018

(01-13-2018, 01:31 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Thanks for sharing this with is big Jim, I have some thoughts on the subject which I hope are received in the spirit in which they are offered.
Rezin Bowie did give knives to several persons he admired and usually they were purchased not made by him and engraved.
The knife pictured is not an early Bowie pattern as are the knives attributed to Shively and James Black which were guard-less.
This appears to be a British pattern import due to the bevel grind on the clipped point extending into the spine. But Davey Crockett was reported to have a Wolstenholm Bowie knife at his demise at the Alamo.
Joe Musso of California knows all about the difficulty in having a proposed knife belonging to the Bowie brothers accepted. He had metallurgy tests which came up positive for the time period and local of Black's smithy both in the steel and the brass, but like a murder trial, without continuity of evidence there is no definitive proof.
The Musso Bowie was purchased by Phil Collins and later donated to the Alamo museum along with a large collection of Alamo items both American and Mexican. Collins was a huge Alamophile.
I hope they can find out more on this knife it surely is interesting.

Grizled Dave
It is amazing to me how much more knowledge of the Alamo and Texas history my brother griz (from far north texas) has amassed. He probably knows Texas history better than the great majority of us texians

RE: A Little Bowie History - Grizzly Dave - 01-19-2018

(01-19-2018, 02:04 AM)rcwalla Wrote: It is amazing to me how much more knowledge of the Alamo and Texas history my brother griz (from far north texas) has amassed. He probably knows Texas history better than the great majority of us texians

I always feel at home when I am in Texas and around Texans Smile