Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Questions and Answers (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? (/showthread.php?tid=49694)

Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - Tn Ridge Rover - 01-05-2018

I gots me a 1999 Honda Civic front wheel drive. We had the lowest temps in December in many a year. I just feel snow is on the way.

I have a short drive into work this year, but it may be across town next year. For those in the know, I currently live in west Nashville.

Been checking this video out about chains and such. Its a UK video but some stuff is sold in the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrLCKzAVVg

Any advice on what to put on my Honda? Some of the stuff in the above video gets some pretty low reviews.

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - WetFootWilley - 01-05-2018

Here in NS, we get a mixed bag of snow, sleet and ice for three to four months a year. I drive a 01 VW Bug, and the only concession I make to winter is winter tires. A lot of winter driving is about reducing speed and being aware of travel times. Dec 27th this year we were planning a trip to Halifax from Yarmouth, about 3 1/2 hours. A few minutes on the highway showed that we would only be able to do 70 kms an hour safely. That made the trip too long for one day, so we called our friends and made plans for another day. Keep your driving smooth and you'll have fewer problems.

WFW

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - 7.62 - 01-05-2018

If you know a good tire shop in your area that will give you the straight poop,and not try to just sell you something. Talk to them about what set of chains would work for your car.

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - TRYKER - 01-05-2018

first check the laws to see if there allowed.

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - WetFootWilley - 01-06-2018

Chains will reduce your speed to a crawl, studded tires are great - but slippery on dry roads, (and eithor might not be legal). A 99 civic is a great little car in the snow - just keep it steady and smooth. I came in this morning through a foot and a half of last nights snow with no problems.

WFW

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - Jimbo - 01-10-2018

We have little snow here, but from time to time we have precipitation which freezes over night.  When we have snow, it usually melts during the day and then re-freezes on the road bed over night, which is much more difficult than driving on snow. 

When I was at home dad had real mud & snow chains and they were difficult (rough) to drive on.  Over the years I have purchased a number of pairs of the snow cables, but they are most often referenced as "Chains" also.  They drive much better than the old Chains, but not nearly as well as studded snow tires in my opinion, where the studded tires are legal, when driving on snow or ice.  The studded snow tires damage the road beds and are routinely illegal to use when the road beds are free of snow or ice, and in some jurisdictions illegal at any time. 

The front wheel drive vehicles, like the old rear engine VW's are very capable of driving on snow at reasonable speeds without either studded tires or chains/cables.  Be careful and enjoy your new (to you) Honda.

By the way, we purchased an '08 Honda Accord on 1 September 2017, from an individual I know personally.  It was his step-father & Mom's auto.  Five new Firestone tires were installed in January 2017 and a new five year Firestone battery in February 2017.  New wiper blades were added in April 2017.  His step-father passed away roughly 12 months after purchasing the Honda new, and it has rested in his Mom's garage mostly during the nine years which followed, making an occasional trip to the grocery, but being used little more.  When possession of the Accord was taken on 1 September 2017 the Honda only had 22,048 miles showing on the odometer, and the interior was show room pristine.  The trunk (boot) did not appear to have ever transported anything.  A friend told me I stole the Accord then offered me a thousand more than I paid for it.  Four months & 5,000 miles later, I believe I was very wise in refusing the thousand dollar profit on my investment, and I am delighted with the little sedan.

RE: Need snowchains for Honda. Advice? - Tn Ridge Rover - 01-11-2018

(01-10-2018, 08:56 PM)Jimbo Wrote: We have little snow here, but from time to time we have precipitation which freezes over night.  When we have snow, it usually melts during the day and then re-freezes on the road bed over night, which is much more difficult than driving on snow. 

When I was at home dad had real mud & snow chains and they were difficult (rough) to drive on.  Over the years I have purchased a number of pairs of the snow cables, but they are most often referenced as "Chains" also.  They drive much better than the old Chains, but not nearly as well as studded snow tires in my opinion, where the studded tires are legal, when driving on snow or ice.  The studded snow tires damage the road beds and are routinely illegal to use when the road beds are free of snow or ice, and in some jurisdictions illegal at any time. 

The front wheel drive vehicles, like the old rear engine VW's are very capable of driving on snow at reasonable speeds without either studded tires or chains/cables.  Be careful and enjoy your new (to you) Honda.

By the way, we purchased an '08 Honda Accord on 1 September 2017, from an individual I know personally.  It was his step-father & Mom's auto.  Five new Firestone tires were installed in January 2017 and a new five year Firestone battery in February 2017.  New wiper blades were added in April 2017.  His step-father passed away roughly 12 months after purchasing the Honda new, and it has rested in his Mom's garage mostly during the nine years which followed, making an occasional trip to the grocery, but being used little more.  When possession of the Accord was taken  on 1 September 2017 the Honda only had 22,048 miles showing on the odometer, and the interior was show room pristine.  The trunk (boot) did not appear to have ever transported anything.  A friend told me I stole the Accord then offered me a thousand more than I paid for it.  Four months & 5,000 miles later, I believe I was very wise in refusing the thousand dollar profit on my investment, and I am delighted with the little sedan.

Great story! Twas a freak of luck how I got my Honda also. Twas in great condition. I returned a diesel car I just bout from a coworker of my brothers. I paid him a thousand dollars to take it back. Long story short, I came out ahead with my Honda...........

Tomorrow will bring snow and ice.  Got some barbell weights to put in the front of my vehicle. Thankfully, my commute to work is short