Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
Some Air Pistol Reviews - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Knives and Assorted Weapons (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Some Air Pistol Reviews (/showthread.php?tid=49603)

Some Air Pistol Reviews - Benjamin Liu - 11-04-2017

Over the past year or so I decided to test a few air pistols for training.  These were all purchased at Wal-Mart.

My intention was to find pistols that were good for practice for myself and that I can teach kids with.

1.  Sig Sauer 1911-

This is the plastic CO2 pistol that generally sells from $25.00-50.00, not the expensive one.  It shoots BBs and is semi-automatic.  The trigger loads the BB from the magazine into the chamber, making it something of a double-action.  I suppose it is OK for the money.  The trigger pull is heavy and the accuracy is nowhere near what I was looking for.  I would not recommend this for precision shooting but it would be OK for point shooting or tactical shooting.

2.  Daisy Powerline 1911- 

This is a metal CO2 pistol that I got on sale but Wal-Mart normally sold it for over $80.00 and it is normally in the $100.00 range.  It shoots BBs and is semi-automatic and is a blowback, so is more of a "single action."  The trigger pull is better than on the Sig.  The weight and the blowback make it more realistic than typical CO2 pistols.  Unfortunately, the blowback action effects the power and number of shots.  It still doesn't have the accuracy I was looking for.  Loading CO2 cartridges is somewhat complicated. 

In looking for it online it looks like it is the same pistol as the Winchester 1911, but I could be wrong about it.

I really like it as a fun pistol to shoot, but it does not fit my criteria for accuracy for a training pistol.  Like the Sig, it would be OK for point and tactical shooting.

3.  Daisy Powerline 340-

This is a spring BB pistol.  It normally sells for $15.00 or so but i got it on sale for less than $10.00.  At the $15.00 prince I was not expecting much but it failed to meet my already low expectations.  I correctly guessed that it was basically an airsoft pistol that shot BBs instead of airsoft pellets.  I was not correct that the metal BBs would make it more accurate than an airsoft.  This is inferior in every way to a typical airsoft spring pistol.  An airsoft will have better range and accuracy.

I don't know what this gun is good for.  There are more efficient ways to inaccurately throw BBs downrange.

4.  Benjamin Trail NP-

This is a single-shot nitro piston .177 pellet pistol.  It has fiber optic sights and I prefer regular iron sights, but other might prefer them.  The accuracy isn't where I'd like it to be but it is more accurate and has better range than the previous three pistols. 

At first the accuracy was very bad.  I was shooting about 4" low.  I looked up some reviews and this is a common and easily fixed issue.  There is a cocking assist that goes on the end of the barrel like a flash suppressor.  This is the problem.  While it does make cocking easier, it is what causes it to shoot low.  Someone had a youtube video showing an alternate method of using it, using it backwards so that the muzzle of the cocking assist is put on the end of the barrel and used to cock it and then taken off before shooting.  I just take it off after I break the barrel and before I load the pellet so I don't have my hand in front of the muzzle.

This is my newest one so it hasn't been used as much as the others yet, aside from the 340 which I don't use at all now.

5.  Crosman 1377-

I saved the best for last.  This is a single-shot pneumatic .177 pellet pistol.  I actually got this one a little over two years ago.  I had an older version in the 1980s that I shot all the time.  The newer version has a bolt handle and it does not have the BB magnet so it is strictly a pellet gun.  BBs can damage the rifling anyway, which made it strange to include it on the older one.

The power, range, trigger, and accuracy are good for a pneumatic pellet pistol.  At 10-12 feet I can split a business card maybe 20% of the time.

I just have the basic pistol without the optional stock since my purpose was for handgun training.

Considering that I don't shoot it daily or even weekly (it still looks new) I'm not sure if it will last as long as my original, but so far I really like it.

On the topic of kids, they seemed to handle the CO2 pistols the best since they were lighter and they did not have to load them.  They they could not load the Benjamin or Crosman themselves.

In 2000 I bought a Daisy CO2 pistol which looked like a Glock 17L.  This had an internal reservoir for BBs and needed to be cocked before each shot.  This was very similar to one a friend had in the 1980s, and was probably just the same gun but made to look like a Glock.  I bought it for tactical and point shooting, expecting to have the performance I had with the two CO2 pistols reviewed above.  I don't have it anymore so I can't compare them, but I was able to hit a sheet of drywall at about 100 yards.  Of course that was a big target, but I was not expecting such power.  It probably was discontinued due to not being semi-auto.  I think there is a trade-off with the CO2 pistols no matter what type you get.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Jimbo - 11-04-2017

Benjamin, I had one of the Daisy Powerline 1911 CO2 pistols and in nothing flat the thing would "bleed off" a CO2 cylinder faster than I could replace the CO2 cylinder.  I took it back and it was replaced, withing a few weeks, the replacement pistol developed the same problem, so I gave it to a kid, I knew, who was wanting one.  I told him the history and gave him all the paper work and few remaining CO2 cylinders. 

The first couple of weeks, before the problem developed with either CO2 pistol, I was thoroughly enjoying playing around with them.  My experience may not be the norm, but it surely soured me on wanting any CO2 air guns.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Benjamin Liu - 11-04-2017

If that happens with my high-end 1911 I'll probably totally write them off.

I know even expensive airsofts tend to have problems on a much greater scale than airguns which is why I've not purchased any airsoft over $40.00. That $40.00 electric Walther had a slight delay between the trigger being pulled and the gun firing, and it eventually just stopped working.

I won't be buying any new airguns any time soon, but maybe the CO2 revolvers would be more accurate since they use pellets, or at least the revolvers that do use pellets.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Jimbo - 11-05-2017

I hope you do not have any problems with your CO2 guns, Benjamin.  I have a neighbor who received one of the CO2 air guns manufactured in the form of a revolver when he was a teenager, which gave him good service for many years.  I believe his was made by Crossman, but I could be wrong, probably in the late 60's.  It is possible they were made better back at that time too. 

My Daisy was purchased in the late 80's or possibly the early 90's.  I really wish the outcome with the Daisy would have been different, because it was a very enjoyable 'toy' for adults and older youths, or supervised younger children.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Benjamin Liu - 11-05-2017

Not speaking about high-end airguns like the PCPs, but for the most part the same models are lower quality than they were in the 1970s and 1980s.

My Daisy 880 was purchased in 1979 and I used it weekly and eventually almost daily until I moved to the city in 1985, and shot it occasionally into the 1990s. I lost it in a move but after reading airgun articles I probably could have had it fixed. My brother bought two 880s in 2005 or so and much of the metal was replaced by plastic and one lasted a few months and the other maybe a year of very light occasional use. He had similar issues with other pump guns.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - alukban - 11-06-2017

My only CO2 gun and first “single action revolver” was the Crosman SA6. I lost it after moving out to Canada.

(pic from GB - not my actual toy)
[Image: dsc03530.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg]

It also stopped working a few months after I had bought it. I did not get any CO2 toys after that.

I loved that SA6. I even used to carry it around in my jacket and waistband. This was in the early ‘80’s in the Oakland Hills/East Bay of CA. My favorite thing I was to watch TV with it and shoot at all the bad guys Smile

Even now, my current favorite revolver is pretty much the real version of that SA6 and I so watch TV with it and shoot at bad guys... and zombies! Smile

I only have 3 air pistols now - same ones for over a decade, all single stroke spring powered, all .177 just like the air rifles: Predom target pistol by Lucznik (copy of a Walther), a Beeman P3 (“air spring” w/ an awesome trigger), and Beeman P1 (will never get rid of it).

I had a previous P1 that I stupidly sold prior to my current one. It ended up costing me more money and a lot of aggravation to get another one when I realized what I dumb move I had pulled. The P1’s are the most powerful single stroke guns that are still relatively compact - not looking like a “hand rifle”. They will actually work as a sub 15y squirrel gun.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Scottman - 11-13-2017

my NP trail is quite low in velocity around 450 fps with lead pellet. That's not an effective killer in my experience on a c ommon animal in my area a squirrel.

the 13xx are iffy too.

Also i doubt a kid would be able to use the trail np

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Benjamin Liu - 11-13-2017

The Trail NP was more for myself, but I'm not satisfied with the accuracy so far.  I actually haven't had time to shoot it since I started the thread, so I'm still not used to it yet. 

I did a test a few days ago with an indoor trap I made for airsofts, comparing the Daisy spring pistol and a Sig spring airsoft I've had for a few years.  At 12 feet the airsoft had a group the size of a nickle and the Daisy's group was maybe 3".  Considering this, I don't think the Daisy spring pistol is even useful for indoor practice.

RE: Some Air Pistol Reviews - Scottman - 11-13-2017

mine is ok in accuracy at 15 yards. For the money I 'd rather have some remanufactured 760s for 13.50 a piece kiddos can use them and pellet clip. Won' t fit in a laptop bag but I stopped carrying the NP after a hunt