Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum

Full Version: Edible Plants?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody tried palmetto hearts?

Also can tell a good link for edible plants, to ad to my camp meals is what I need???

Thanks all

Walter(sereknife357)
[quote name='sereknife357' post='83993' date='Aug 22 2006, 01:15 PM']Has anybody tried palmetto hearts?[/quote]

Way back in another lifetime as a kid in Florida we used to pull young palmetto shoots and eat the tips that pulled out. You didn't get much, just a bite. Never dug the whole thing so I don't know how much you would get that way.

Wally
[quote name='sereknife357' post='83993' date='Aug 22 2006, 01:15 PM']Has anybody tried palmetto hearts?

Also can tell a good link for edible plants, to ad to my camp meals is what I need???

Thanks all

Walter(sereknife357)[/quote]

Palmetto is common in Florida, and seminoles and others used it. I have had some before -- sorta like water chestnut, butnot really crunchy. Folks get them sometimes when they plants are cut back for development or road widening. YOu eat only the young white inner heart. Some have more than others dependng on moisture, age, etc.

I am sure there are internet plant links -- just google around....

ChristopherNyerges.com