Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum

Full Version: Meat Grinders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was at Cabela's and noticed the meat grinders - the powered ones are pricey. However, I watched a guy that weighed about 200#s using the sausage stuffer and it was a pia. He could actually balance his entire weight on the handle. Just wondering if anyone has used a manual grinder and if it was also a pia. Funny thing is, the powered ones aren't rated to grind meat any faster than the manual ones. TIA
I've got an old one that belonged to my granddad and a more modern one I bought from Lehman's.

Both work pretty well and aren't a pia unless you try to grind too much too fast.
Crap, you mean I have to be kinda patient?
I cannot begin to think of how many pounds of venison we have ground by hand in a smallish grinder. Never really difficult just needed to clean the gristle and tendons out occasionally. The most important thing is having a good place to clamp it down. I can never remember either the one at my parents (my grandmothers grinder) or the one I have (fleamarket ) binding to the point we couldn't turn it.
Take a look at You Tube, 'How to use a Hand Meat grinder for some video examples.

Not too tough, yes some effort, sorta got to do some to see how it works for you.

A few pounds at a time is pretty easy, figure coarse the first time through and fine the second.

I have a hand grinder sitting in a box here some where, I am lazy though and tend to do a pound or two at a time with my Vita Mix.

I have not made sausage in 25 years.
Neat idea. Did a quick search and found some easy directions to use a food processor:

Instructions

1. Cut the Meat into 1-Inch Cubes - Cutting the meat into same-sized chunks will help it grind more quickly, easily, and uniformly.

2. Partially Freeze the Cubes - Spread the cubes out on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure they don't touch. Freeze until the edges are stiff but the middles are still pliable, about 20 minutes. This will help the food processor blade to cut the meat cleanly, rather than tearing or smearing it.

3. Grind the Meat in Batches - Fill your food processor about half-way (roughly 8-ounces of meat) and grind it in about 8 - 10 one-second pulses, until it looks coarsely ground. Empty the meat into a bowl and repeat with the remaining meat.

4. Check Over Meat - Check through the meat for large pieces. Re-grind pieces of meat and discard any tough gristle.

5. Use Immediately or Freeze - We usually grind just what we need for the recipe we're making. You can also freeze any extra for another time, which is handy if you find a good bargain on meat and for quick meals.

Thanks guys - $60 I can spend elsewhere.

I've ground a lot of deer meat annually over the last 20 years and I had a small power one used it one time and gave it away it clogged to easy and was hard to clean. I like the hand grinder because you can turn it backward and clear it some what. I grind quite a bit of deer into burger for chili, spaghetti sauce and stroganoff. I prefer the hand grinder and it works well for me be sure to get the one that clamps to the table for ease of removing and washing.
I use one, it's an accessory for the kitchen-aid. It has worked great for me over the years.
The big electric grinders will do a lot of meat very fast. Good if you have four deer/elk/antelope to move through. Partially freezing is very helpful, and the silver-skin needs to be cut off as much as possible. Make sure you keep a sharp filet knife.

However, we only have a manual grinder. I used two ratchet straps hooked together around my freezer to hold the grinder down - that works pretty well. It's not to bad to vacuum seal your meat as steaks, roasts or scraps (in BPA free bags)and then grind a batch for hamburger as needed.

HTH!
Its just like making a knife, its all in the technique.
[quote name='doctari' timestamp='1385014923' post='584499']

Its just like making a knife, its all in the technique.

[/quote]

Yeah, and watch your fingers!