Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum

Full Version: Using Mini Storeage Or Simillar For
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't have any room at my place, what are your gents' (and ladies) about thoughts about off site food storage?

I was looking and am on the look out for an offsite off the map sorta hidey hole piece of property, but was thinking maybe mini storage for the interim? I am about 20 miles away from a largish town and 40 miles away from three good sized towns, the 20 mile away town would be easier access as I drive there every day for work.

any thoughts?

Unfortunately I am not in a place in my life right now to start burying cargo containers or building outbuildings. I have considered renting/buying a couple cargo containers though, anyone do this and know what the ball park rates are?

This information might be handy for apartment dwellers too.

Thanks,

Pwag

[quote name='Poet_with_a_Gun' post='247688' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:36 PM']I don't have any room at my place, what are your gents' (and ladies) about thoughts about off site food storage?

I was looking and am on the look out for an offsite off the map sorta hidey hole piece of property, but was thinking maybe mini storage for the interim? I am about 20 miles away from a largish town and 40 miles away from three good sized towns, the 20 mile away town would be easier access as I drive there every day for work.

any thoughts?

Unfortunately I am not in a place in my life right now to start burying cargo containers or building outbuildings. I have considered renting/buying a couple cargo containers though, anyone do this and know what the ball park rates are?

This information might be handy for apartment dwellers too.

Thanks,

Pwag[/quote]

Hi Pwag,

The small town I live in does not have much crime. However, theft from mini-storage units is a weekly event. People lose their entire inventory overnight.

As far as cargo containers, I purchased a steel forty foot container. I encased it in wood and put a roof on it. It keeps out snakes, spiders, dust, and rain. What it cannot keep out is someone with a bolt cutter. As my dad used to say, "A lock only keeps out the good guys."

The disadvantage to storage lockers/containers is heat and cold. If you store anything that will freeze, like canned goods or many liquids, you will probably lose them in the winter. Summer heat and winter cold could ruin many things. The steel containers become quite hot in the summer. It becomes an oven. Much hotter inside than what the temperature is outside. I have had plastic items warp in my steel container - even though the container is encased in wood.

Wood storage units do not keep out humidity. What can become moldy in your inventory?

If you don't live in an area with extreme heat and cold, know that any temperatures above 60' F and below 33' F will be detrimental to most foods and herbs - even dried ones.

If you absolutely do not have a place to store your goods, and you are willing to count the cost if theft comes your way, than I would suggest finding a secure (really secure) storage place.

Additionally, if you lose your income, and you are not able to pay your storage unit rent fee, you could be in a bad predicament.

Mike
what about hiding your real items under the steel container by burying them?

leave the steel container as a decoy of sorts.

and with storage rental, i suggest saving up and paying for 6 months to a year ahead of time, just to make sure in case you loose your job or have some hard times.
If your storage items are kept in uniformly sized containers like #10 cans in boxes or 5 gallon buckets, you could get rid of your bed frame and just put your matress directly on top of your stored food. 2 years worth of storage food can fit underneath a queen sized mattress.
I can't find the sheet right now, but rates will vary by place, and location. Some rental spaces are temperature-controlled, most are not. I'd expect to pay roughly $50 a month for something about the size of a small closet for storage.

The real way to go with this, is to bury something big, like a semi trailer or something. Make steps going down to it, but put a roof over it (to hide the entrance). When the time comes, and you need in, you take up the boards (or whatever you used for the roof), and in you go.

When storing food, also be aware that animals may smell it, and try to get in to it.
If you put your bed on cinderblocks you have instant storage space for atleast 3 months worth of food stuffs.
I have a storage unit. It is Temp controlled.

It is on the second floor.

However be careful what you store. Things can be stolen no matter where they are.

I see it as just another "tool " you can use to have a stash, of whatever seems important to you.

Try to pick one where they someone living on site. A security fence and gate. Look for videos and where they are placed.

My storge place is about 15 miles from my house. If I need something that is in the unit it is no big deal to run and get it.

However months go by and I never make a run to the unit.

It is a tool , as I said. Use it to your advantage. Think it through what you want it to do for you.

Dude>>> coveryerownsix>>>
Had even considered temp swings. The one thing I have on my property that might be working for me is a "subterranian" pump house. It freezes sometimes, but is about 6 foot by 10 foot and has just a pressure tank and a pump in it. I bet i can refurb that and put a set of stairs in it pretty easy.

My biggest problem with burying something is I have neighbors on both sides of me and now thanks to my friendly Washington Realtors Association I have THREE surrounding my back piece of property. I like the idea of under bed storage though.

Brilliant!
As everyone else stated, storage buildings are targets because they offer easy targets. Several things to keep in mind if you choose storage:

1. Pick a newer one in the best part of town. More expensive but consider the alternative.

2. Look at the type of construction. I worked storage unit burglaries once where thieves broke into one. The insides were made of nothing but sheetrock and studs. The criminals just broke through the walls down the line.

3. Some one who lives on property or at least fenced and locked at night.

4. Drive by at night and check out the lighting.

5. Some sort of noise making alarm if opened. You will have to shut if off when you go but at least attention is being drawn.