Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum

Full Version: Promising Emergency Water Purification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if anyone here had heard of or had any experience with Lifepack emergency water filters. They claim to be able to make potable water out of polluted flood waters. Sounds promising. I would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbI_Ew7J39E

Tony Torre

Miami Arnis Group

http://www.miamiarnisgroup.com
I don't have any personal, hands-on experience with them, but I have done some research on them.

IMO, they're just OK for what they are. They're useless without the little syrup packs you need to add to start the osmotic process and output is slow... It takes a pretty long time to produce "water" (what you end up with is actually more like a sports drink), and you don't get much of it. The price is a little high also, IMO.

The only applications for it that I can see would be a "Hurricane Katrina situation" where there's contaminated water all around and you have plenty of time to wait for it to produce. SeaPack also makes a bona-fide "desalinator" pack, which would be useful in a open ocean or near-shore "overboard" situation, but again, it doesn't produce much, it's slow and it's useless without the syrup packs. With either choice, you'd probably need a half dozen of them working at the same time to produce enough liquid for 1 person's daily needs.

Still, I like the fact that it's a pretty small "footprint". They wouldn't take up much room in an "overboard bag" on a boat or in a life raft, or stuck away in a closet or BOB as a part of "Hurricane preps". It's not the only watermaking tool I'd want in the "arsenal", but it would be a decent addition for certain scenarios or applications. I thought of adding a couple to my PFD kit for when I kayak offshore, since they don't take up much room.

If I had to compare this product to others, I'd prefer a PUR Survivor 06 or a PUR Survivor 35 (I have both, BTW). They're also slow to produce and are painfully expensive, but they would provide you with more water in the long run if you're situated along the coast. For inland (non-saltwater) use I'd go with a Millbank Bag-type set-up and a mechanical water filter like the Katadyn Pocket or Combi models. The Millbank Bag, if filled with the right media (fine-grain sand and activated charcoal), should remove any chemical contaminants like gasoline or oil, and the mechanical filter would take care of the other nasties in the water.